Diy Orgautomatech midilector

After months of scouring the internet for midi file players, either products readily available or DIY options, I have finally found one product that maybe able to rull them all because Sam name-dropped them in a video. The Orgautomatech Midilector. Looking at what seems to be the offical page of the product, it’s being listed for about 100 dollars, which is a bit much, but if it can do what I’ve been looking for and wanting, that’s what matters. However, I got curious looking at the spare products and parts that they have the ATMEGA chips listed that are preprogramed, which means it’s possible to make a diy option. Problem is I can’t seem to find a schematic for it anywhere, and was wondering if there’s a way or some kind of schematic that can use the chip and build a midilector from the ground up. Any ideas?

1 Like

The Midilector project doesn’t seem to be open source so reverse engineering it might not be completely ethical.

But… the MidiLector user manual says that “Midilector is based on the Simon Lehmayr’s open source project, Mr Midi”, so you could start there: https://www.simon-lehmayr.de/e_mrmidi.htm

And… the Mr. MIDI project’s web site says: “it is free open source, you can build it, sell it, modify it (but as open source again)”, so you could ask Midilector for their source code.

Edit: and from the source code, it should be pretty straight forward to figure out how to connect the MIDI connector, the LCD and the switches.

2 Likes

The BulkyMIDI-32 project includes a separate MIDI file player unit. It’s for the MT32-pi but should work no problem with any MIDI file and sound device.