Fuzz-1 (passive module)

I’m not sure if I’ll bother making a panel for this one or not. If you split a clean and fuzzy signal and then mixed the fuzz back in, it might be useful for making claps and other preclusive sounds; if you don’t have a dozen ways to do that already.

Over all I’m a lot more excited for the Safety Valve’s official PCB release.

1 Like

happy that’s work, i go to put it in verified stripboard :slightly_smiling_face:

Does it qualify as “passive” if it uses active circuitry? :grinning:

2 Likes

DON’T STIR UP TROUBLE :angry: tiny

2 Likes

It’s a cute idea but probably an active fuzz is more worthwhile.

I agree.

If you pressed me to give it a description I would describe it more as a “reactive white noise generator”

Don’t know if that’s ever actually been a thing, but that’s what my prototype seems like. You feed it a signal and it outputs noise that changes and reacts to the signal but it’s still basically noise.

I mean… the fact that the power supply varies with the signal undoubtedly makes a big contribution to the effect which you wouldn’t get with an active fuzz. But then, if you like the effect but not the signal level, there’s no rule saying you couldn’t build this and an active gain stage into the same module. Maybe even add a wet/dry pot.

1 Like

I built this yesterday and the result did not seem perfect to me.
Maybe some mistakes. I checked the stripboard and changed a few things.
The 3.3K resistor was directly at GND while it normally goes through 330 before going to GND. And also some changes with the order of other resistance.
After test it works much better, good output level, more distortion, but the pot no longer acted. I changed one of his connection and his value and now I like it.
other test to do.

1 Like

when i ear your, it’s like me at the fist time. Not good i think
sorry for that
i remove it from the Verified Stripboard Layout thread.

As usual, I’d love to hear your result!

1 Like

After others test, it’s ok with snare but not with hit, ok with Saw but not with Square,it’s passive circuit so really depending of the input level signal.

I may still do a second one to make a Dual module in a 5 cm.

I imagine that it’ll sound best with basses, which you can then pass into a LPF. That’ll sound rowdy.

Not necessarily, it’s more a question of level than frequency, but it can be interresting to test with a filter.

here’s my build for a dual module

the stripboard layout with update (like i build it)

4 Likes

Finally got a round to building this one… sounds great! Nice little fuzz, left out the switch and put it in a spare 2.5’er. More noise!

3 Likes

Personally since I took it apart to get the parts, really not what I was looking for, and rather oriented myself towards a Rat and a Monotropa for the next case.