Fart Box Builds

so, uh, how hot do these power regulators get for you all? did you use heatsinks or just bolt em to the pcb?

cuz mine get burning hot.

I don’t have Fart Box but there is none in the Bom .

The regulators have built-in thermal protection, so if they’re not turning off by themselves they’re ok. They’re designed to work up to +125 °C or higher, though, which is way over “burning hot” (as in “hot enough to cause permanent damage”), so if you’re not ok with hot regulators I’d suggest adding heatsinks.

(note that the regulators regulate by turning the difference between what you feed in and 12 V into heat, so the max temperature depends on what you’re using to power the fartbox (+airflow in your box, etc)).

2 Likes

hey up. they should not be getting hot in normal use. if you are using a 12V ac power pack… are you using something different??? no heatsinks were on the BOM because of that. I mean to be honest if it works then definitely just plop some heatsinks on them. but maybe also have a look around the board see if anything could be up. as they should not be burning hot

double check resistor values around the board, look for shorts? if any of the opamps are hot try swapping them too… not sure what to suggest other than to double check it all

but! if its working and they are just getting hot definitely just bolt in heatsinks and pretend the problem isn’t there haha.

good luck!

2 Likes

freaking beautiful! :smiley:

Got it sorted, I had a couple chips in upside down.

First gig with it is saturday on twitch.

3 Likes

aha yep!!! that’ll do it cool glad the problems sorted!!! you got a link?

2 Likes

Oh boy have i done that a lot.

saturday starting at 7:PM eastern, which is midnight GMT? I’ll prolly be on an hour in. it’s an ambient music battle.

1 Like

does anyone have the kicad file for the PCB? my girlfriend wants me to build her a fartbox!

hey soz they are back in stock on Monday funnily enough I restocked them a few weeks ago but they are for some reason not on the site wtfffudge eek soz about that

4 Likes

hey! congrats! that looks so boss

2 Likes

I added a dual output 4 super simple oscillator drone setup with voltage sag. Hope it works out tapping into the fartbox power supply (and that I didn’t melt the cap).

4 Likes

hmm. can’t tap into the fart box’s power without running into thermal runaway of the voltage regulator, so I’ll just put a DC input to the drones.

And I gotta tune it. Will that improve the freq cutoff performance?

Also, I get sound out of the trigger in. Not that I’m complaining, just thought it odd.

Hi all, first post on here.
Im just going to start building my fart Box, however I noticed this funny line on the PCB, is this OK or is it defective, i think it might just be the paint but wanted to check to see if anyone else had this?

Matt

1 Like

Looks like there was either a mistake with excess solder mask or there was a defect in the solder mask which the fabricator tried clumsily to cover over. Either way (1) it’s ugly (2) it’s probably okay (3) if I’d ordered the fabrication with the intention of reselling the board I would’ve rejected this one.

2 Likes

well in that case 2 = Im happy!

I did say “probably”

1 Like

hey Matthew fire us an email via the contact form very sorry about that. it must have slipped past me that one I was looking through those pretty late. I wouldn’t have sent one out like that. it looks like it will work, but if you are not satisfied we can figure something out! hope thats ok. apologies again.

7 Likes

is ok at the mo Sam, I bought it when i visited the museum and you went out back to find one, so i can appreciate it was prolly in a rush. if it doesn’t work, ill probably cry, but I have faith!