fμ-Bus Gerbers now Available

Actually the files are in the “documents” folder but the documents folder doesn’t appear in the repo listing. Not sure how that happened. You need to have them in a folder that you can see at https://github.com/d42kn355/fu_Bus.

The only way I know of to create a folder in GitHub (as opposed to creating one locally and pushing it via a git command) is:

• Go to your repo
  • Click Add file > Create new file
  • Type folder name, slash, and then some file name, e.g. documents/README
  • Click Commit new file at the bottom of the page

This creates a folder in the repo structure called “documents” as well as a useless empty file called “README”. You can delete that. If there’s a way to do this without creating a useless file I don’t know it.

Now you can do:

• Go to your repo
  • Double click on documents
  • Click Add file > Upload files
  • Drag and drop your picture, fixed.jpg
  • Click Commit changes at the bottom of the page

This should give you a picture, fixed.jpg, in the folder documents. Now ![](documents/fixed.jpg) in README.md should work.

2 Likes

still didnt work so i just threw it in the master with the above suggestions and now it shows.

ty.

3 Likes

Corrected a mistake above, if it’s in the documents folder you need ![](documents/fixed.jpg).

2 Likes

most of the time 92%

With all the stories of modules plugged in in reverse, I suggest you use polarized shrouded headers:

They start at $0.58 in single quantities at Digikey.
To save $150+ modules, I’d say it’s worth it.

1 Like

yes. I never planned on not using them. lol
I do not have the 3D models for shrouded headers.
Those are the exact headers linked in the BOM :smiley:

2 Likes

I still managed to plug them in backwards cause i fuck up the direction of the custom wiring. All future cables and such will have extra car put into not doing any of those mistakes though.

2 Likes

Boxed headers have their own problems, as @Caustic learned the hard way…

Doepfer’s comment about boxed headers :

Important note : A-100-modules have to be connected only to original A-100 bus boards or 100% compatible bus boards of other manufacturers ! Particularly it’s not allowed to use bus boards with polarized pin headers (boxed pin headers with code gap). These force the user to connect the bus cable in a certain direction which may be the wrong one ! This will destroy the module and the warranty is void ! In the A-100 the colored wire of the ribbon cable marks -12V and this wire has to point to the bottom under all conditions !

I’m still debating with myself if I should use them, or use simple pinheaders, but with a red row like NLC does :

4 Likes

I think headers will cause the least problems overall. If you put the direction of the header on the silkscreen, you get that part right, and from then on you are good. My problem was from doing my own stripboard designs, and not having a personal standard. Having a physical thing preventing you from posting in the Litany of Dumbassery thread is very welcome (to me).

2 Likes

Except that Doepfer doesn’t even always put the red stripe down. See:

1 Like

But if you put one of connectors of your cable in the wrong orientation, you are “forced” to plug your module the wrong way.
Plugin the cables “red-on-red”, even if one of the connectors is in the wrong orientation, will work.

1 Like

Doepfer has another “rule”, red is always down.

I’m in no way defending Doefper, I don’t have any Eurorack gear, but I’m thinking about which method is the least dangerous… because none is safe.

Yeah, you do need to make sure your cables aren’t incorrectly constructed.

2 Likes

is stupid.

Yes, it’s possible for a shrouded header to be oriented incorrectly. That doesn’t “force” you to connect your cable backwards, because no one’s forcing you to plug in a cable at all. And you shouldn’t, not until you’ve verified the boards on both ends are labeled correctly, the headers are oriented correctly, and the cable is made correctly. Once you’ve done that, for that particular cable and those particular boards, shrouded headers will make things more convenient for you and reduce the likelihood of an expensive mistake.

Of course if you do find a shrouded header is oriented incorrectly, you have a problem that would not have existed if an open header had been used. But to me that’s a small price to pay for the security of correctly oriented shrouded headers.

5 Likes

Yep, basically, the same mistake you can make only once with box headers you can make anytime and every time you plug in without them.

2 Likes

Here’s a detail from an image of the first run of Barton’s 4046 Wave Shaper. Spot the problem:

From the manual:

On the first run of PCBs there is an error in the MOTM power header footprint which
lists the voltages backwards. If you are using an MOTM style header, you should
install it backwards, like in this photo:

The shrouded Eurorack header footprint was printed correctly, but if an open header was used anyone going by the “-15” PCB labeling to get the cable orientation right would have a fried module. But as @Caustic says, you’d only have to get the shrouded header right the first time and from then on the mislabeled PCB wouldn’t be an issue.

3 Likes

I’d better choose fast because… 9mm alpha pots are back in stock at Tayda !!!

2 Likes