Joe Beuckman modules

Thread picks up from Can I leave this empty column on my stripboard layout?.

KiCad import works only for XML files produced by more recent versions of Eagle… but fortunately that’s what we have here, and yes you do get both the schematics and the board layouts.

Interestingly, at least on the one I’ve looked at, he’s using the Eurorack 16 pin power connector. He’s not using the +5V bus, fortunately, but he is using the CV and GATE pins, which I’ve never seen used anywhere else. Can they be ignored and a 10 pin connector used? My guess is yes but that’s just a guess.

Also he’s labeled the power buses ±15V, not ±12V, so I don’t know if they’ll work on ±12V without modification. Maybe he addresses these things in his video, I haven’t watched it yet.

Anyway, yes, you can get the files into KiCad. You also don’t absolutely need to, if you want to make the PCBs you just need the Gerber files and I presume that’s what all those “.s#1” etc. files are. If it were me I’d absolutely go with making PCBs rather than trying to come up with stripboards. They’re cheap at places like PCBWay and even cheaper though in my experience not as good quality at JLCPCB. Even at PCBWay for a board under 10 by 10 cm it’s under $15 for five boards if you choose slow shipping or under $25 for DHL which is not bad even if you don’t have four friends to share them with.

4 Likes

This is great news!! We could make a github repo with “our” kicad versions of the boards where we can make changes necessary for 12V and only use 10 pin connectors etc. Anyone interested?

3 Likes

Cool, though if you just want the boards you probably can use them as is — if any parts need swapping for ±12V that isn’t a board change and again I’m just guessing but I think you could just install a 10 pin header for the power and be good to go.

2 Likes

You are right, but for Kosmo format we need larger jacks and more space between knobs, probably :slight_smile:

So, to import I have to choose the xml file in KiCAD and it picks up everything else by itself?

1 Like

Yes, if you want those things board mounted. You can just use panel mount components and run wires.

In KiCad do File >> Import Project >> EAGLE CAD

Navigate to the EAGLE folder and select either the .brd or the .sch file.

Choose a folder to put the import into. If you choose one that’s’ not empty KiCad offers to make an empty folder there to use.

You get a couple warnings I think are safe to ignore.

KiCad opens both the schematic and PCB. At this point neither is saved, so save both.

4 Likes

Actually those files aren’t Gerbers, not sure what they are. So to make PCBs you do have to open the board file in either EAGLE or KiCad (or whatever) and generate the Gerbers from there.

On closer examination it looks like he does use the CV and GATE lines on the 16 pin header to control these things, but he does provide pads on the boards where you could wire a connector instead. I think.

On the next module I looked at the power buses were labeled ±12V, maybe the ±15V was just an error or a one-off thing.

3 Likes

Which module did you look at initially that you saw the +/-15V? I know that his MIDI module uses 15V, but his other modules should all use 12V.

2 Likes
3 Likes

if you guys make boards for these please do use panel mount jacks . so we have choice of using 1/4" or 3.5 mm .

2 Likes

I’m working on a couple of different boards with assistance from @CTorp and @d42kn355. I am planning to get some boards made for some of the 808 voices. (The first one will be the hi hats.) On all of these boards and a few others I’m working on I have been setting them up like Sam did on the Performance Filter where there’s a 2 pin molex connector going from the board to the panel mounted jacks. This way it’s versatile and because the boards are much smaller they will be cheaper to make.

6 Likes

that would be great . I would defiantly be interested in purchasing extras if you have them .

1 Like

This is neat. I’d have to get some from you if these remain available.

-Fumu / Esopus

1 Like

So maybe what I’ll do then is get a tally to see about how many people would be interested in them and will put an order together. There’s another freestanding 808 project that I am also looking at that is a desktop unit with 3.5 & 1/4 ins and outs. However, I think I’ll start with the Eurorack conversions of these modules first.

2 Likes

Count me in for any of these boards :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

It’s only a couple bucks more to get 10 boards instead of 5 =]

2 Likes

Cool, I was drawn here by the BD++ discussion…

There’s a lot of interesting projects on Joe’s list…

3 Likes

I’m interested in these boards as well. Gonna be making 80’s breakbeats in no time.

2 Likes

I built all of the 808 modules in Kosmo format with great success! There are a few things that are good to know when building:

• Accent needs to go to +12V if not used as CV
  • I put a diode, capacitor and a resistor to ground before the gate inputs to make the signal short
  • I mostly used 10 pin power connectors but some boards need 5V as well so pay attention
  • I needed to fix outlines of the boards (outer dimensions, drillings on the corners) to successfully produce them at JLCPCB
  • I needed to test a lot of different transistor for the noise board. Even from the same batch there are great differences.
  • Use film capacitors!
  • Search for Yocto 808 clone, this is quite helpful when having problems with one of the modules
16 Likes

Oh man I’m jealous those look fun

2 Likes

Nice work ! welcome here :slight_smile:

2 Likes