DIY Pedal Offboard wiring question

Hi guys I know this is a bit off topic for DIY synths but maybe someone here is familiar with DIY guitar pedals.

Anyway I’m struggling to figure out how I should hook up the 3PDT switch for true bypass when there’s a pot connected to the input and output jacks.

Do I connect the pots to the jacks and the jacks to the 3PDT or do I connect both to the 3PDT switch?

Here’s the stripboard and offboard wiring diagrams for reference:

The only thing you want between the inputs and the outputs when the pedal is off is the switch itself, that way you’ll get true bypass, so the jacks should go straight to the switch. The pots will also go to the switch, but from the contacts that are closed when the switch is engaged. From the second diagram there is a blue wire connected to the “circuit input” - in your case that’s going to be the green wire in the first diagram connected to the pot labelled “in”. Same goes for the output - you want the purple wire in the second diagram labelled “circuit output” connected to the blue wire from the first diagram labelled “out”.

Cheers

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. That totally cleared it up for me. It now seems so simple!

3 Likes