Effect Pedal switch Jack Socket Problem

Hello everybody ! I have another problem, I bought this effects pedal, along with an Alesis Microverb 3 and an ETEK AD1823 mixer, including shipping for € 18. I´m so happy !!! Back to the problem, before I tested the effect pedal, I of course first disassembled it, drilled holes in it and installed small jack sockets :). I thought this is how it works. Now it is only possible if a large jack plug is also plugged in. So the big one switches something. But now I have a total knot in my head and don’t understand how it works. Or. can I get this switching function with standard tayda mono sockets? And if not, could someone please explain it to me using the stereo jack on the picture, I still have some.

Thank you so much !

1 Like

You can bypass the switch of the main socket, either by short-circuit it, or by putting the switch of the small one in parallel to it.
Now to find the switch connection, I think the simplest thing to do is to disconnect everything off your socket and check the connection between the pins (beep mode of your multimeter): the switch is normally closed, and will open when you connect a jack.

Does that help?

2 Likes

contact togehter Without Plug : 1,2,3,4,7
with plug : 1, 2, 4, 5, 7

Contact to GND of the batterie Clip without plug: 5
Contact to GND of battery clip with plug: 1, 2, 4, 5, 7

Iput TIP of the Jack I soldered on: 3
Input SLEEVE of the jack I soldered on: 5

Output TIP of the jack I soldered on: 6
Output SLEEVE of the jack I soldered on: 4

So if I see that correctly, the tip (3) of the input is together with the GNDs (1,3,4,7) of the sockets, but not with the battery GND (5). With the plug, the input (3) is no longer connected to the GNDs (1,2,4,7), but they are now connected to the battery clip GND (5).

If I now simply connect one of the GNDs (1,2,4,7) to the battery clip GND (5) without removing the input tip (3) beforehand, I will create a short circuit, won’t I?
Do I have a mistake? What’s the solution?

H E L P !! :weary:

This doesn’t seem right, 3 shouldn’t be connected… Could you check again?

My guess is pin 2 is the switch output (with pin 5 always on ground). So on the small socket, connect the sleeve to pin 5 (that’s already done), and the switch to pin 2. Or if you want it always on, connect directly pin 5 to pin 2.

Hi, I´ve tribbledouble checked it Pin 3 that is the weird thing is without plug in the input socket connected with pin 1 2 4 and 7

So maybe a double switch that uncontact pin 3 and connect the other ones with the battery GND ?!? But why should behringer do that? By the way the pedal is the Behringer Hi Band flanger HF300

oh okay that’s weird, I didn’t know such sockets existed…
Check if pin 4 is connected to pin 6 when not plugged?

Also, do you have a true short between 5 and 3 (check with the ohmmeter), or some kind of resistance? Can you try in both directions (swap the leads)?

It seems that you wont be able to do something without desoldering the socket… Or just use a dummy plug…

This is the Schematic of the original Boss pedal that behringer cloned maybe you can see something ?

Give me 5 minutes, i will check it

Oh that’s clever, they used the ring to act as a switch!
But that symbol doesn’t explain why pin 3 is grounded…

4 and 6 not connected (they are the Output Sleeve and Tip)
Between 3 and 5 is no connection, no resistance .

With the dummy plug the sockets i soldered on are working fine.
The tthing is, I don´t want a dummy plug :slight_smile:

I also checked with a diamond loupe to see if there were any connections that weren’t normal, but that’s not the case

hmm… Well I don’t see other options than to change your socket for one that does not connect ground and tip when not plugged… Or maybe you can modify it ? Can I see the top side of the circuit ?

on the second pic the contact behind the e capacitor is connectet to 1,2,3,4,7

The sockets are closed, so this will be difficult… I was suggesting to open it and remove the unwanted contact, but that’s at high risk of destroying it…

Ah, okay, yes, I’ve already thought of something like that, but that doesn’t work with these. It’s a shame, so I MUST use this stupid dummy plug or buy a suitable socket that can be opened. But it will probably move very far back on my to-do list. Before that comes the Spring Reverb, Clock Divider and a thousand other things, you know that :grinning:… Thank you very much for your help! :green_heart:

1 Like