DIY oscilator drone guitar pedal

Dear reader.
So I’m trying to build a oscillator drone using a super simple oscillator schematics and put it in a guitar pedal. Basically I want to add drone note pedal to my guitar. I managed to do all that, but there is a problem. I’m afraid that signal from oscillator can go to my guitar and damage the electronics. Is there a way to stop oscillator signal going to guitar? At first I thought that I can just add a diode after guitar signal, but that just cuts the sound out. Anyone have any ideas?

2 Likes

I don’t have a picture to hand but you’d be best using an opAmp to mix the two signals and thwn use resistors to balance the signal. I’d not worry about your guitar. Pickups are fairly forgiving but a buffered mixer like this gives you more control of volume. Have you thought as its a fairly small build that you could build the drone into the guitar?
Start with the transistors that only take 9v
And if your guitar has active pickups you have 9v onboard already.

3 Likes

Actually if you add some gain output your drones signals to small speaker drivers modified with little neodymium magnets and tuck them under the strings by the neck you can tune the drone to vibrate one or all of your strings like a sustainer but with more harmonic overtones.

3 Likes

Oh thanks, opamp is a great idea. Yeah it would be really cool to mount a drone into a guitar, and I thought about it, but I only have one electric guitar that I dont want to mod, so a pedal is probably the next best thing.

2 Likes

Keep us posted and best of luck. There are plenty of examples here.

Basically you want a mixer (2 in, 1 out) but taking into account the impedances and signal levels of the guitar pickup and the oscillator. From my very limited understanding at least 1M impedance for the guitar input, and the oscillator probably needs a good deal of attenuation.

4 Likes