DIY CV Modulation Module like Acid Rain Maestro?

Just curious if anyone knows of a DIY module that can do something similar to the Eurorack Acid Rain Maestro controller? Acid Rain also manufacturers what they call a “navigator” which basically is a knob that you can turn to move between 2 different values. A joystick I think would work great for that too as you could go between 4 values (one for each of the 4 directions.)

Here’s a summary of what the Maesteo does with a link to their site below:

Maestro is a 6 channel clocked modulation controller inspired by the automation lanes found in digital audio workstation software, brought into eurorack and made playable and performable. Maestro will push and pull the parameters of your other modules with rapid or slowly evolving voltages, always in perfect sync with eachother and the rest of your system.

Maestro features:

• 6 channels of live switchable looping/one shot waveforms
  • A clock system that keeps all waveforms in sync, even when switching them manually in a live performance setting. Maestro keeps track of the number of clock pulses elapsed since the last reset and synchronizes the phase of all channel waveform outputs together
  • Internal or external clocking to sync with any modular gear
  • A “Chain” function that allows different waveforms to be sequentially played to form complex, evolving streams of control voltage
  • A “One Shot” function that turns any channel of Maestro into a complex CV generator, following the rhythm of an external gate or trigger
  • Instantly recallable save and load slots from the uSD card cached in internal memory. You can save and recall entire module state or individual channel settings to perform dramatic changes to Maestro’s output without missing a beat

https://acidraintechnology.com/products/maestro

1 Like

Not done yet, but close :innocent:

The Maestro seems like a kind of programmable waveform LFO, which I imagine wouldn’t be too hard to implement using an Arduino.

The Electric Druid VCLFO 10 has changeable waveshapes all synced up to each other, but you can only use one at a time. I suppose you could use a more powerful chip with more outputs and modify the code so it outputs the waveforms in parallel.

2 Likes

Is the Kosmodulator something like their navigator? If not, I’m wondering if there is a DIY solution for this already laying about somewhere? :thinking:

It’s a really simple module almost exactly (not intentionally) like the navigator. It’s basically 2 rotary switches connected to either end of a potentiometer. Each pin of each rotary switch is connected to a different preset voltage, so you can choose for example ±10V end to end, ±5V end to end, only +5V, and so on and so forth.

It has a ∆ output that only changes when the knob is turned, with a third selector switch to change the resistor value in the RC filter thus changing the ‘decay’ speed of that output.

I also added inverted outputs to both of these.

I’m toying with the idea of using it as a big attenuator knob as well, with a switched TRS jack to change the module into ‘attenuator mode’ where one end of the pot is connected to an input jack and the other end is connected to ground.

I’m waiting on a new SSD for my Ubuntu box so I can get KiCad to work properly to finish the PCB layout. After that it’s a case of testing and writing some documentation - I estimate it’ll be done in about 2 weeks.

4 Likes