Cheap Component Search

how I do it is I just use the single core wire I usually use and just strip it of its shielding. but that copper wire looks good!!!

3 Likes

Got the copper wire and can confirm it is good :+1:

2 Likes

Cant tell if i need to read this as Mr. Burns or Bill and Ted =D

1 Like

Anybody got a got source for cut-to-size aluminium panels (with worldwide shipping)?

3 Likes

Hi @BlackDeath and welcome. If you use the forum search there have been a number of threads covering panels. I myself use door kick plates from the local building supplier. Others here have other means and depends where you are in the world. The real expense is shipping so it may be useful to chat to a local source.

5 Likes

Just moved into the FAQ category:

7 Likes

For those of you in Australia, like me, have probably discovered getting small quantities of anything locally for less than a small fortune is hard (i.e. 16 mm linear pot: Altronics $2 each if you buy 20+; Jaycar $2.75 for 50+), I’ve found that online is the best way to go.

However, in this new SARS-CoV19 world, Ebay, AliExpress and the like now have shipping times that are utterly insane (>3 months to Perth, WA). Mouser is my next favoured supplier as they’ve got decent prices, a huge range, and the free express shipping threshold is pretty low.

I’ve had some luck with AliExpress recently, with the following shipment from Advance Technology Co. (https://www.aliexpress.com/store/826019)

That’s right, 20 plastic knobs for $0.52 Australian dollars. They’re OK too, but not copper core as the listing suggests. Also the illusive “Super Simple Oscillator” transistors of choice were $2.18 for 100. Will test them and get back to you regarding quality and performance.

Currently waiting on a batch of 100 100k pots for a total of $9.36… yes, you read that right. They’re on way with a stack of sockets, jacks and switches. Will provide an update on those too, when they arrive. There somewhere between China and Oz customs at the moment with tracking now well into the gray zone.

I hope this info is useful.

Cheers, AC.

2 Likes

I had an outgoing item (USPS First Class large envelope) sent from the US to Australia on 8 Sep arrive on 30 Oct. Similar items to US addresses mailed the same day arrived in about three days. So yes, some international shipping is crazy slow. Of course if you pay for faster shipping you get faster shipping.

4 Likes

Checkmate globeheads!

5 Likes

I am looking for slide switches with 8 positions. I can not find them on the usual suppliers.
Something like this:

I found some on alibaba but there I need to buy at least 5000, which is a bit much for me…

I also found this from the Netherlands, but there is not much info about them and they seem a bit pricey.

So, if anyone has ideas (or is better at searching at alibaba and mouser etc.) I would be very happy!
Otherwise I will go with rotary switches, but they need more space (I will need 16 switches, of which 8 need to have 8 positions, the other 8 could also only be 5, I guess). Maybe some of you can already guess what I am trying to build? :slight_smile:

1 Like

a 16 step trigger/gate sequencer of the dead ? :grin:

1 Like

The unit from the Netherlands looks like a bargain to me. Given I can’t find anything more than 6PDT switches with any of the large commercial suppliers (and they’re a small fortune each), I reckon 1.60 Euro is very reasonable. Seems like a pretty unusual switch for most project needs, hence why it is hard to find.

Try the aliexpress app. Its more consumer versions and volumes of Ali Babba. I find if I search using the alibaba text for an object then it pops up in a few days

What is that? Sequencer is correct already! I also use 8 slide potentiometers, maybe that helps?

1 Like

I might go with the rotary switches, I kind of like how they feel, but I think this might be too many knobs on too little space (circles are for rotary switches, large rectangular boxes are slide pots). Oh, I just noticed that they are more expensive than the slide switches from the Netherlands… so maybe I should go with those! edit: oh, but those are very large…

2 Likes

Here’s an eerily familiar query:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185154

A suggestion there was a small diameter rotary switch, of which a few model numbers were given, but you’re really not gonna like the prices on those.

Someone said

you can always ask them to ship you a sample order of 20 and pay for it, but beware that it might incur high shipping costs.

Maybe?

Also I note the alibaba page says MOQ is “negotiable”…

3 Likes

In the space available there may be other ways to encode the information, though it also depends on what form of output is expected and how it is to be processed. This goes to the design of your device or module.

Looking quickly at Amazon I see this 10 position decimal thumbwheel switch. It’s compact and inexpensive, though there is no detail about how it works. It may be worth the fairly low cost and the 15-30 day wait for delivery just to see if it works for the need.

Another possibility that springs to mind is a decimal counter operated by a sprung toggle to make it go up or down. You need space for a seven segment indicator display and if you need a voltage you need a resistor ladder to do the conversion. The point here is that the physical apparatus can be compact and inexpensive compared to an 8-position slider of dubious reliability.

2 Likes

5,6,8 and 10 way blade switches are easy to find (like guitar pickup selectors) . Would those do?
Not cheap.
5 way plus a 3 way and a toggle would give you 8 with some wiring. Or hack a 5 way by reprinting the circuit board and adding extra tabs.

Or something like this…

https://www.otto-controls.com/t8-t-tactile-8-way-mini-trim

Edit: translated to better English.

2 Likes

Damn it! Must see current build through before buying more toys.

Edit: have you seen the prices? Outrageous.

1 Like

I looked at Farnell and found this:

https://uk.farnell.com/lorlin/mtl-21-10/rotary-switch-1p-8pos-0-5a-24vac/dp/2797234

9.2mm diameter rotary switch, up to 8 positions. £4.19 each, £3.23 each in a batch of 10. Quite reasonable I think.

1 Like