Cheap Component Search

Most excellent, thanks for pointing me to this post !!

1 Like

@Pontifex Notes & Volts posted a short series on exactly how to create boards from start to finish with kiCad. The first video in the series is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuek-NyDaWo

6 Likes

great series of tutorials, thanks :+1:

1 Like

I just got 50 cent 1n mica capacitors and 15 cent .1% resistors for the VCOs at local Anchor Electronics. They also do mail orders and have all kinds of other fun things.

1 Like

dam all these F#%*ing borders , just to keep the people in power , in power . when we all get along fine and just want to make noise / music … oops sorry a bit to political , but that customs shit empties pockets and slows us down .

3 Likes

I sent of the letter to customs to try to get a refund…

Cost me £1.50…

Because my value was £16.40 (or something) it was over the £15 low threshold.

I don’t remember reading anything otehr than values over £130…

So Customs gets £4 for something that costs the same in the EU.
Royal mail gets £8 for 10 seconds work slapping a lable on and calling it Handling!
Royal mail get a further £1.50 for me to send what could be provided by online form…

So my 3340’s have not been cheap.

I have actually started buying more small components direct from the UK since Christmas, the cost difference with China is not huge on these and they turn up next day, and if they don’t turn up replacements are not another 6 weeks off… And with Chineese new year and Corona it’s become more random…

Rob

2 Likes

New Tayda discount code:

15% Discount Coupon Code : “Sale15”
**Valid till 27 February 2020 ( 11pm New York time )
**Valid to use only on www.taydaelectronics.com
**Please make sure to apply discount coupon during checkout, we can’t apply it manually after checkout is completed.
Happy Shopping!
Thank you for choosing us.

7 Likes

Classic big knobs A-1996 from Tayda are not fitting the 6.35mm round shafts FYI, anyone else have this problem? The smaller ones fit just fine but no dice on the big knobs. Trashed a rotary switch petting the rabbit to hard.

2 Likes

I hate to ask what may sound like a completely snotty question, but it looks to me like it has a rubber knurl that you have to take off off and let out the set-screw before trying to put it on-did you do that?

1 Like

Hmmm I will have to check when I get to the house. It looked to me that the insert is smaller, I hope your right since I bought 20 of them. Thanks for the heads up. Please don’t worry about snot I’ve played synths for years but I’ve never tried to build one until now haha!!!

3 Likes

Yeah the tolerance is different, I can probably role up a little sandpaper and take care of it.

1 Like

I have had some success with a drill press to go from 6mm to ¼”. Really only works well with larger knobs.

2 Likes

Yeah going to drill this out and work on the knobs tomorrow, hopefully it will work.

4 Likes

JACK SOCKETS I can confirm these are nice from mouser https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/REAN-Neutrik/NYS232?qs=%2Fha2pyFadugmnx0kZ8I0yxhALEezTEMSgSeTGJnT%2B4ByD9HE33EqVg%3D%3D

I ordered a few different ones from mouser to see as the description and data sheets dont always match up but these are good!

5 Likes

Tayda Sale

15% Discount Coupon Code : “Sale15”
**Valid till 20 March 2020 ( 11pm New York time )
**Valid to use only on www.taydaelectronics.com
**Please make sure to apply discount coupon during checkout, we can’t apply it manually after checkout is completed.
**Please expect longer than usual order fulfillment and delivery time because of virus situation.
Happy Shopping!
Thank you for choosing us.

6 Likes

…beat me to it !

2 Likes

All right, folks, American WIRE. Sam’s posted a link https://www.rapidonline.com/catalogue/search?Query=Wire%207%2F0.2 for 7/0.2mm hookup wire, equivalent to 24 AWG stranded, at a price of £7.59 for 100 meters. (Most colors out of stock, I notice, but they do have red.) That works out to about $0.03 a foot. Tayda sells 100 feet for $0.07 a foot https://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/cable-wire/90624-dup-86518-dup-awg-24-black-hook-up-wire-1ft-30cm-solid.html, more than twice the rapidonline price! Going rate on eBay appears to be about $10 for 100 feet. Anywhere cheaper?

Last time I just ordered this of Amazon.

3 Likes

that amazon pack is precisely what i get.

1 Like

But it’s 180 feet for 15, or about .08/foot.

[There should be dollar signs in front of the 15 and the .08. Discourse isn’t showing them??]