Cheap Component Search

They have a few more now

5 Likes

YAY! good news for all would-be furby organ makers!

1 Like

Should be enough for now, I suppose

1 Like

This isn’t really a “component,” but this step drill bit is surprisingly cheap (under $15) and doesn’t appear to be counterfeit (at least, it works well and the package seemed legit): https://a.co/d/bLGv17z

Couldn’t find them less than $75 locally, or in that size at all (1/8 to 1/2, so most mounting holes on a DIY panel).

$75 sounds ridiculously expensive. I was able to get a decent (HSS 4241 titanium nitride coated steel, whatever that means…) step drill bit at 1/10 of that locally, and the price even included a hefty 24% VAT.

“Locally” means a lot of different things, depending on the speaker; my “local” doesn’t have VAT, it just has Fentanyl and gun crime.

Also, IMO, imperial drilling for metric-spec’d hardware gives the tolerance you need (3.2mm is about 1/8", for example.)

2 Likes

I don’t think I can justify paying extra for imperial measurement hand tools since there is no way I can be that accurate. Plus, I probably wouldn’t be able to notice an 1mm difference, let alone 0.2mm. :man_shrugging:

For what it’s worth, Harbor Freight has this

on up to this price point

I have some cheap Harbor Freight step drills, they work fine for sheet aluminum.

1 Like