Can Someone Look at My Buffered Mult Schematic Please?

Hi…I am trying in KiCad to create a schematic for a buffered mult. The original schematic that I am taking this from is by Morrocco Dave here who based it off of a MFOS design.

There are 2 changes I was trying to make to his schematic:

1. I wanted to add an LED to the input so I visually knew if the input was receiving a signal.
  2. I changed the power section to add in diodes, caps, etc… because isn’t is supposed to have this protection? I saw this particular schematic on another buffered multiple here.

Below is my schematic. Pretty sure there are errors here. Can someone look it over and tell me please any changes I need to make to this?

2 Likes

The LED shouldn’t be in series with the output.
It should go from the opamp’s output to ground thru a limiting resistor (value depends on the LED and the brightness you want, usually somewhere between 1K and 10K)

4 Likes

And you power connector seems backwards (that’s today’s bug)

2 Likes

Okay. I just rotated the power connector. Does the rest of the power section look correct?

1 Like

The diodes appear to be backwards, actually.

I’ve buid this module 2 or 3 time and i just add a switch , for 2 x (1 in with 3 out) or 1 x (1 in with 6 out)

you can also do this with switch jack

thanks @ChristianBloch .

@Dud do you have a schematic for this? I really like that switch option.

1 Like

i search , but i don’t think, if not i ll did a quick draw it’s simple :wink:
wait …

You may also want to switch the out resistors to 1K in stead of 100. The original schematic also has a 220K resistor from input to ground.

1 Like

3 Likes

They’re for power reversal protection. If +12 V is really +12 V then the top diode won’t conduct, but if it’s actually -12 V the rail will get shorted to ground, hopefully blowing out the 10R resistor before any other damage is done.

That’s one approach, not my favorite but not terrible; see Typical module power circuit for discussion of different options.

3 Likes

100R output resistors and no resistor to ground on input is better for preserving 1V/oct CVs. Another option is to put the output resistors before the feedback connection; that gives you no voltage drop even with 1k resistors.

3 Likes

If this is for a PCB design, you’ll want to use different labels on the left and right. E.g. IN1_B for the op amp input and the one on the left pin header and IN1_P for the jack and the right pin header. Otherwise the software will want to connect all of them together.

If it’s for a stripboard or other non-silicon-idiot-designed option, presumably you’ll know better than to do that.

1 Like

Okay, I am hoping that I listened to everyone.

@eric is option #1 or option #2 how I should do the LED on the input? Or are neither correct?
@analogoutput is that what you meant by putting the resistors before the feedback connection? I guess technically it’s in the middle of the connection.

Can you guys take another look at this and tell me if this looks correct please?

@Dud thanks for the drawing. I plan to implement that switch you drew. I just haven’t drawn up the other outputs yet in kiCad so that’s why it’s not on this version of the schematic.

1 Like

I think you can keep the 100ohm resistor like in the first schem (the @analogoutput proposal was if you changed with a 1K that you had to move it)
and for the led, not in serie, #2 is better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you know, and this is just a Kicad Schematic thing.

You can set your labels as INPUT or OUTPUT which helps to visualise the path the signal should be taking.

Not overly necessary in this instance but as you progress it will aid you.

2 Likes

No… Like this:

Then output = input voltage regardless of what load you connect. (There can be drawbacks to doing it this way so some like to use it only when preserving V/oct CV is needed.)

1 Like

Duh, never mind me, then… :rofl:

1 Like

#3 :slight_smile:

But now the first output may be slightly different…

Depending if you want “the bestest” or the simplest multiple, you may want to do it this way :

Which needs an opamp just for the LED.

Or just look up one of the hundreds tested eurorack-ish multiple out there…

Something like this :

2 Likes

Or look closer to home

3 Likes