CAKE voice project (let's design a Kosmo voice module together)

@analogoutput is quite right, but if someone is confident enough to knock them out for the community to use we could sidestep the whole DAB variant supply issue. Also it would be possible to have a QFN package pad directly on the board but then have it routed via through hole pads for a DIP32 for the DAB or an adaptor modified chip. Then folks could have the choice between what package they wanted to use based on what is available locally, what they are willing to spend and their level of soldering skill. This is, however, still the most expensive of the ā€˜all in oneā€™ chips (unless you buy the QFNā€™s in bulk), but itā€™s also the only one that supports thru-zero FM ā€˜out of the boxā€™ that I have found thus far.

2 Likes

This might be taking us too far in the wrong direction, but I might as wellā€¦

ā€¦why donā€™t we just go for SMT Assembly for the whole thing? I guess that might defeat the fun of soldering for a lot of people, but to be honest, at the end of the day, I really just want to make music and not pay a huge amount of money for overpriced eurorack modules.

I think it might even end up being cheaper in the long run - a SMD TL072 is fifteen cents at JLCPCB, and only one cent to have installed. Thereā€™s a setup cost per run, but thatā€™s only 7 dollars. I think weā€™d end up still having to do DIY pots and jacks, but thatā€™s no biggie.

Even if we donā€™t do this for CAKE, Iā€™d still happily take some pre-soldered boards for all sorts of modules. Maybe Iā€™ll give it a go for my next order if I can figure out the KiCad.

1 Like

As mentioned by @fredrik above, JLC will only do the parts that are in their library. PCB Prototype & PCB Fabrication Manufacturer - JLCPCB

That could knock out 90% of the parts and in the end it would probably be cheaper for the end user, who would then only be faced with as you said, soldering jacks and pots, chip sockets, and a few parts that were not available at JLC or were in the extended library (which costs an extra $10 per reel change).

Iā€™m cool with it either way.

2 Likes

Iā€™m confident in my SMD skills and could easily put these together for the community if you would like. Iā€™ve used those converter boards as well, but @analogoutput is right in that you might as well just put them on the board if youā€™re going to do it. That being saidā€¦if I were doing a bunch all at once it might be easier and cheaper to just use those converter boards instead of shipping the entire PCB somewhere. Iā€™d just have to ship the small converter board to whomever. Iā€™ll do whatever you prefer though.

Anyway, if you guys want to use that or any other SMD chip. Donā€™t let the SMD aspect of it stop you. I can do it and I can do it quickly too.

6 Likes

bump for CAKE! Is it time to do polls yet? 20chr7

2 Likes

Did this die a death, or is it still on the cardsā€¦?

Hereā€™s something to get started thenā€¦

Which kind of synth voice should we build?
  • West Coast module (additive synthesis)
  • East Coast module (subtractive synthesis)
  • Something else

0 voters

edit: pinging @BratAttack @JonGreen @MacMannes @moscione @heckseven who we havenā€™t seen in a while :smiley:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been about & around, generally reading and building stuff quietly in the background :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I know I wonā€™t be much help with the design . I voted other , only because I would like an dual oscillator with both additive and subtractive in the same module . yeah I know it would be quite large and basically be two individual modules in one .

2 Likes
1 Like

Hey,

My work has taken up a lot of time recently. Thanks for pinging!

I have also voted for ā€œsomething elseā€, but mostly because I think that this module should feature a bit of additive synthesis, a filter and some digital control :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I made a GitHub organization for this project so we can collaborate on the same files whether that be PCB design, panel graphics, documentation, etc etc. Itā€™s at github.com/kosmonuts .

If you want to join post on here or PM me your GitHub username so I can give you write access to the repositories.

I have sent invites to analogoutput, jaradical, BlackDeath, MacMannes, heckseven.

@JonGreen @BratAttack @fatboab do you have Github? (also if Iā€™ve missed anyone lmk)

3 Likes

In the previous discussion it seemed to me there were several disparate ideas being brought forward with little if any convergence happening. Iā€™m now tending to think a voice module is too ambitious and too nebulous a goal for a first collaborative effort. Maybe mine the Module requests topic for something more focused and easier for people to get behind.

4 Likes

Something Iā€™ve been pondering over the past week is a kind of ā€˜recordable knobā€™. Inspired by this video:

It would use an Arduino to record the voltage values of a knob of a CV input while either a button is pressed or a gate input is high, and then output the recorded voltage values when another button is pressed or gate is high. Kind of like a sampler for envelopes.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking of something similar, more of a looper than a sampler. Would be nice to be able to clock it, record one cycle, then have it loop. Iā€™d opt for a cv input with a pot normalled to it, so also eg a joystick controller can be plugged in. 4 or more channels into one module.

That being said, I donā€™t think this is particularly suited for a collaborative development. The voice was a nice idea, as it can be divided up into parts. Agreed with AO, we need a solid plan first.

3 Likes

Would it be an idea to plan a live brainstorming discussion on whatever video/voice-chat platform suits?

1 Like

here ya go:

That thread went way OT for a while.

2 Likes

If this thread is getting bumped, I still think DAB2130 SSI2130 Through Hole Adapter Submodule is the best target.

4 Likes

I think that would be a good choice. Thoughts, anyone?

Iā€™m actually already 80 percent done with the schematic of a vco based on this. Just need to finish the sync part and the subosc, it will be quite an elaborate beast. I got sidetracked for a bit, but I should be able to pick it up again soon.

6 Likes