Behold, my Alibi..phon

That thing is an early answering machine from the 70ies. They were built in Germany since the mid 50ies and the message is recorded on a magnetic plate. You could say it’s an analog harddisk. This model has 2 selectable messages.
As you can hear, it works and the message from 1983 is still on it.

The motor is connected straight to 220V, the only way to mess with the speed would be a lightbulb dimmer (as Sam demonstrated). The pickups are tracked mechanically and are used for both recording and playback.

The challenge: modding it into a “lo-fi looper” without breaking it

15 Likes

Wow, still working after 37 years and mostly intelligible!

4 Likes

Deutsche Qualität !
Oh, and I like its name :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I found it in the bulky waste outside our town hall, but according to the recorded message it’s from a dental practice 20km away.

4 Likes

the incandescent bulb at the front is fantastic :grinning:

2 Likes

It’s about a doctor’s office on vacation and the lady tells us who the substitute doctor is. At first it seems as if you can hear 2 recordings at the same time, but then that disappears … Finally I can help with my language :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@lookmumnocomputer

Because of all the old phone equipment posted lately. I can donate that thing to the museum if you like since I won’t find the time to mess with it.

4 Likes

that thing is incredibly cool!!!if you were sure then most certainly I would be up for taking it on, could pay for postage if need be. theist address would be the museum address on google as people will be there :slight_smile: thanks a lot dude! ill deffo be doing a video on it too

3 Likes

Looks like you found an even older tube version. Mine is missing the microphone. I couldn’t find a proper shipping box and then forgot about it.