Todays crap heap challenge!

Managed to build a new lithium battery for a nice looking vintage torch, replaced the old hot wire bulb with an LED one. Works a treat, and will have around 12 hours run time.

Also a soldering filter thing out of the case of a PC power supply and some plastic from a LCD flat screen monitor.

So, what have you been making today?

8 Likes

That first picture is very distracting. For some reason I just had to go in search of chocolate.

4 Likes

I’ve only got 2 squares left :frowning: … and I can’t go out for more. Got to find it on the 'net.

3 Likes

Only 2 squares? Chocolate or toilet paper?
Either one is a disaster!

2 Likes

Sorry, distracted by your shortage. I meant to say the torch is a great salvage and your hood is great. Does it have a filter?

2 Likes

Indeed! I do have a tub of caramel hot chocolate as a backup, and a milk frothing machine to make the loveliest creamy hot chocolate I’ve ever tasted. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Though not what you want to be handed when you stick a desperate hand out the bathroom door for aid :grin:

1 Like

There’s a cigar advert from the 1980s that springs to mind in that situation.

Hamlet!
When ads were adds

1 Like

Here is my janky soldering fume extractor that went from really janky->semi acceptable. I was able to get a custom made air purifier cheaply from the thrift store. Scrapped The UV lamp in it and added 2 AC fans and a activated charcoal filter and it is working great.

4 Likes

That’s good, mine just has the carbon and filter material from a box of fish tank stuff… There is a filter media called Purigen that can be recharged, so no more throwing charcoal away when it’s done. I may go with the same sort of system, but only really wanted to keep the smoke away from the lens on my microscope.

1 Like

Yes Farabide, it does have a filter… some active carbon foam behind some green non active filter media. it’s really quiet and the hood lets the light through. May make a duct and put a box on top of the cupboard instead, but the whole point was to stop smoke going into my microscope.

4 Likes

Janky is better than mine: non-existent. Does an open window count?

3 Likes

that is one good thing about this virus shit , we are forced to wear a mask all day at work . finally after 40+ years of breathing in shit like lead dust .

1 Like

Yep, but only when it’s not raining hard and the guttering is not blocked.

3 Likes