AI006 Stomp Adapter Schematic Help

something wrong with my design; my grounds are not ground, if that makes sense…cant spot a problem…maybe the 12v in at the expression cv?

PS im aware im using the S pins instead of T on the jack symbols…it gets corrected when the footprint is placed…silly thing i noticed ive been doing and need to fix

Need a better explanation of the symptoms.

By the way, you probably want pin 1, not pin 3, of your pots to connect to ground.

Something’s wonky with the jacks, you’ve already indicated that but it looks even wonkier. T is supposed to be tip and S is supposed to be sleeve and S is where ground should connect. Your jacks may have a separate G terminal in which case you need to tie G to S. But for the expression pedal jack you should be connecting input to T, output to R, ground to S (and to G if there is one).

its messy, but it works…same as the last modules lol…ive fixed it for the bd

the pots i was wondering about…i keep trippin myself up when switching to daughter boards and flipping sides

let me take some multimeter readings but im pretty sure my ground plane has 12v on it

OK, that’s flipped so we’re looking at the pins from underneath, right? So what’s labeled S is actually T and what’s labeled G is actually S. 5 is Tn, 3 is R, 4 is Rn. For the pedal input should connect to what’s labeled S (actually T), output connects to 3 ( R), and ground to what’s labeled G (actually S). On your schematic you’re using pins labeled T (on the pedal jack) and Sn (on the input) neither of which appears on the footprint so I don’t know how KiCad is letting you do that.

These are the jack symbols I’ve used
and for all of them I’ve used this footprint (flipped to see from underside)

2 Likes

1 Like

basically that was the first footprint i made and i picked the names of pins to match the wrong symbol…the G and the S are S and T in reality…i must have messed something up electronically at the expression jack…looks different than your setup

You have input connected to R and output connected to T on the expression pedal jack, but that may be okay, some pedals are wired like that (mine is switch selectable). NM, looking at it upside down

i have the same pedal

it doesnt burn up or smoke but it doesnt work either lol. plugging something in gives me alot of noise/feedback…touching the cable sleeve cuts out noise.

meter between rails is 24v…good.
meter between jack grounds and either rail gives zero volts…

The switch on the underside of my pedal is set to “Other”.

Do jack “grounds” (S) connect to the ground pins on the power?

If I turn on fill visibility I see my S terminals connected to the ground fill:

Do you? (Also I have net labels shown and the S terminals are labeled GND, are yours?)

yes power header grounds are also on plane

You’ve measured connectivity between your sleeve terminal and the ground power pins? Have you checked for islands in your ground plane? (But they would show in KiCad as unrouted connections.)

1 Like

Going to look at it again with fresh eyes today after work. If I can’t find something else, I’ll fix up the jack symbol horror show and rewire. Both circuits are so simple it’s gotta be something silly

1 Like

Alright, so I figured out what happened. The file i shared yesterday was the primary pcbnew instance. When I printed boards I separated the files and for some reason the copper pours aren’t connected to ground on the copied over version. Must have updated something when I went to generate the gerbers…so basically nothing was grounded except the power header

So now I can finally put in an order to JLC.

2 Likes

Any reason why there are jack footrprints with a sleeve and a ground? I like the G for ground just for clarity but I want to do it the right way lol

2 Likes

You think people agree on what’s what? :smiley:

(ok, that’s 3.5 mm TRRS jacks but same principle)

3 Likes

holy crap. i didnt know there was that much variation!

You can even see they are clearly isolated on the pcb. Littany.

2 Likes

insert sad face here

What do you do with unusable PCBs. They look cooler than trash…

2 Likes