A polyphonic mode for kosmo multitool by Polykit

I don’t know much about code but I learned quite a good bit but I feel like I could share my work on the Kosmo Multitool, I’m very happy with how it came out!

This project here is a developmend board for Arduino modules in kosmo format and I absolutely love the stuff polykit has been working on. Check out the voice cards! GitHub - polykit/kosmo-multitool: Arduino Nano Every based development platform for DIY synthesizer enthusiasts.

but for the module, it is built upon the existing midi 2 cv module but it’s reworked with voice flags instead. I got mono, duo, poly, uni 2 and uni 4 modes for it and it also has a moogish round robin to cycle the remaining oscillators forward, backward and random. It takes pitch bend and adds that to the voltage from a selectable semitone range 1, 2 ,3 ,4 ,5, 7, 12, 24 etc etc. Individual gates and cv note ons offs all work nicely and it makes me very happy.

There are a few bugs mainly when using a certain type of pitch bends will keep some voices locked. I want to add it to take sustain as well and keep notes open. I think I’m getting very very close with it however. I maybe want to add different voice stealing algorithms, it currently replaces the last note in whichever cycle with the last note played if the notes exceed the polyphony. And there are tactile buttons on it and I want to get it set up to change the poly mode, cycle mode and either bend range or octave setting with them

10 Likes

Myself googling nano every…

Houuuuuu really nice indeed !!

Amazing work and thanks for sharing it!!

2 Likes

Alright so I have this posted up. Feel free to take a look and grab it for yourself. Big shoutouts once again to Polykit for this module! GitHub - ChurroLightyear/KOSMO-MULTITOOL-CODE: This is a polyphonic code for the Kosmo Multitool

2 Likes

So an update I may clean up some code but My next goal is to get the arp working sort of the same way with a cycle and unison option for the arp already coded in from polykit. I removed the sustain because I could never really figure out how to get that to work. Theres some funky things with certain pitchbends causing notes to stick and a panic button needs to be done but doesnt really fully fix it. When I use my matriarch or keytar ribbon pitch bends cause notes to stick. on most my other wheels its fine, no clue honestly. and then a variable spread section from up to 0-> ± 1 semitones would be neat to have set up.

1 Like

My feelings are the Every is being saturated by midi messages and cannot cope when pitchbend etc is applied. I had the same issue with aftertouch streams when using a Teensy 3.5 to drive a virtual analogue synth and handle the poly code of the midi.

I solved it by upgrading the processor to a Teensy 3.6 with a bit more grunt.

Not relevant to the question, but I was looking at the schematic and am wondering if I understand it correctly. The CV input is

and CV_IN0 just comes from a header which I presume connects directly to the input jack. But in that case the input impedance is just 2k, isn’t it? Instead of the usual 100k. Similarly the gate input seems to have 11k impedance. Is that really the intent?

1 Like

Following this marvelous tool. Has anyone else built this yet?

Maybe I’ve not done anything past the arduino nano every. It’s finnicky with some midi devices but pitch bend works flawlessly on my keytar. It and the cv outs are float values and its doing those 4 at once added with keeping up with the octave and voice flags but I think it just needs a panic button. I’ve been pretty busy outside of building stuff so I haven’t gotten around to fixing the code and Im not too familiar with code its been a learning experience. Also: it’s running a lil screen on it too and some leds so it may need some more oomph

The circuits from poly kit’s repository I did some of the code for a 4 midi to cv module but whenever I finish up the rest of the things on my rack i may try swapping those out. I’ve only used the cv inputs to calibrate it

I’ve built it and it’s what powers the midi to cv and gate outs on my kosmorack. It’s based around development board from polykit’s github repositories. It would be sick to make it into it’s own module though but it definitely needs better fleshing out in the code. It works really well on my keytar (alesis vortex 2) but on some things, like my matriarch, the pitch bend is incredibly buggy and holds notes. There’s no voice stealing but the order of voices works really well in the different voice modes from forward, backward random and of course just the normal 1 2 3 4. I don’t think it needs it needs a more powerful lil mini computer but it might. It works more than fine for me but I’d personally want to have a panic button but leaving and reentering the menu seems to work.

1 Like

and also to add I think if there was room for optional voice stealing/shifting it would be neat. ofc for the normal mode and not round robin modes. This is mainly from a limitation of me only using one filter but my next module planned to build is a 4vcfs in one. On a normal paraphonic synth it would usually be like hold 1234 release 1 and the filter stays open but this would close gate 1 and in turn close adsr 1 and in turn close the filter

1 Like

In the pre usb midi era a fun project was a panic pedal. A simple merge box adding a stomp to all channels. I think it was also a mod to the philip rees din merge boxes. A fun arduino project?

1 Like