AO Dual Quantizer

Finally! This took a lot longer (read: involved a lot more procrastination) than I was expecting, but it seems to be working.

10 cm Kosmo module with two quantizer units, both the same. It’s based on the latest version of the dac/ino board. For each unit, rotary switches enable selection of any of up to 12 scales in each of up to 6 banks, up to 72 scales total. There’s a second CV input (normalled to +5V, with an attenuator) that can transpose the quantized first CV, a gate input and switch to disable/enable quantization either manually or via a gate, and a trigger input that allows using it as a quantized (or not) sample and hold.

The software gives you a choice of loading either of two sets of scales, one with things like major, minor, pentatonic, and blues scales each in 12 keys, the other with more esoteric stuff like just intonation, Pythagorean, meantone, well temperaments, and micro- and macrotonal equal divisions. It’s fairly simple to define your own scales and scale sets to use instead.

The GitHub repository with schematics, BOM, panel Gerbers, software, and documentation is here: GitHub - holmesrichards/QuantizerModule: Code and hardware for Kosmo/Eurorack quantizer module . The dac/ino repository is here: GitHub - holmesrichards/dac_ino: Arduino CV/Gate I/O shield and its software library . You need one dac/ino board to build the module.

A few boards and panels are up on Reverb.

Photos: Front

Back

and yeah, that’s a lot of wiring. I would’ve liked to do a daughterboard but the pots/toggles, rotary switches, and jacks are on three different levels so that’d be three daughterboards all somehow connecting to each other and the dac/ino board… not really much simpler.

A couple rough test videos:

15 Likes

Cool, just ordered a board.

4 Likes

hell yes rich!! Ordered.

4 Likes

Ordered! Perfect timing!

3 Likes

Wow and the order train was fast! If anyone has thoughts about a second run I call one Dual Quantizer panel and one dac/ino board.

-Fumu / Esopus

3 Likes

Panel ordered. I guess I’ll be sending the board order to JLCPCB :wink:

4 Likes

Christian Bloch,

If this thread has enough attention maybe panel and board orders can be efficiently split among the interested?

-Fumu / Esopus

3 Likes

I could do another run if there’s interest enough for 4 or 5 more (in the US).

4 Likes

I was thinking I’d just order the dac/ino boards. I’m sure I can find a use for at least a few of them. I can pass on two or three.

5 Likes

Maybe I could do a black panel version :thinking:

3 Likes

Christian Bloch,

Spare dac/ino boards may be useful in experiment. I challenged myself earlier with experimenting on a spare. I’ve decided I’m set using one board in my future Dual Quantizer.

-Fumu / Esopus

1 Like

JLCPCB doesn’t allow Gerber upload from mobile. Which year is this? I’m out of the house, but this will be my first order of business when I get home in an hour or so.

4 Likes

I should probably get a couple myself!

3 Likes

Let me know if you make a black panel version :slight_smile:

3 Likes

dibs on a black panel :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The classy look would be to have a white panel and a black board.

-Fumu / Esopus

1 Like

Yeah. I’m definitely considering a single row case just for @analogoutput modules. A single white row could look pretty good. Especially, in an all black case with the front edges painted white.

1 Like

I would be in for board and panel in black or white . probably one of each color .

3 Likes

Device X,

This is good just as long as you alternate the black and the white on the panel and the board for each one. :slight_smile:

-Fumu / Esopus

2 Likes

7 Likes