A myriad of modulators(Sonosus' painfully slow build progress)

your case looks awesome! i hope you post some sounds soon, I just record with my phone, its better than nothing.

about the capacitor–I honestly dont know. Here is the circuit (except that bypass switch):

somebody else can probably answer why it was specified as non polarized…its one of the most basic circuits, you see it so much that Im not sure what the origin of it is.

2 Likes

kbdCV could in principle be positive or negative. Some keyboards or MIDI/CV circuits do use 0 V for middle C or thereabouts, with negative CV for notes below that. In any case, even if the keyboard only produces positive voltages, one might mistakenly plug a negative voltage source in. Absent any off-to-the-left protection diodes, that would reverse bias the capacitor. Bang. I’d use an NP. Or film, probably better.

3 Likes

Looking forward to the Kosmodulator!

Also…I believe that @CTorp used JLC’s SMD service for his mixer. He might be able to tell you about his experience with it.

3 Likes

You just gonna bring up my unfinished projects like that eh? :rofl:

It’s definitely an extra set of stuff to do, though not terrible and it’s pretty easy to pick out components. The price is honestly really fair when you consider how much time it saves you. My advice is to make 100% sure you aren’t having mistakes printed (make one the old fashion way first) because it’s a lot harder to kludge on smd pads. Also keep in mind they can only do one side with smd parts installed, so setup your board to get the most out of it. On my mixer I did all the thru hole controls on one side and the smd on the back.

My advice would be to watch the notes and volts tutorial and follow along:

6 Likes

Since you lot were so eager, here’s a quick patch I made. The arpeggiator is in random mode set to a pentatonic scale. The bell/FMey sound is from the VCDO and bass is from one of the 3340s.

Anyone know why the video isn’t embedding properly? YouTube sucks now, it wants you to put #s on everything if it’s a “short”. I can’t figure out how to make it not a short. Bah, I’ll shove it on SoundCloud next time.

6 Likes

I bet if you did the video in portrait mode it’d leave you alone

Edit: Errr… landscape. The other way.

3 Likes

Yep, shorts are automatically made if content is < 60 seconds and portrait.

3 Likes

Yes, yes I am :wink:

Though I didn’t know it was unfinished until you said something :rofl:

3 Likes

Let’s play a game. Guess the theme tune:

(disclaimer: it’s not my MIDI file; all rights to the original artist and arranger)
(please ignore my out of tune oscillators, pitch correction makes them sound worse :grimacing: they’re a work in progress!)

6 Likes

Book of Boba Fet?
Plus text to please the discourse daemons…

2 Likes

Damn you that was too fast :grin: though admittedly I probably should have waited a couple days after the latest episode came out before posting. Ach well.
I’ll have to think of a harder one now.

2 Likes

My dear master @Sonosus, as the youth of the lost colony are want to say, bring it!
Love a tune quiz :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Wow, that’s great!
Hey, did you figure out what’s wrong with the arpeggiator? I’m very curious and maybe I could help.
Cheers.

1 Like

Aye up!
Discourse tells me that this thread is almost 2 years old - how time flies!
I’ve been completely tied up with other life stuff these past few months with hardly any time for hobbies. I look forward to reading through the hundred odd threads on here that I’ve missed and seeing how many more Kosmo modules I’ll need to add to my list.
I’ll have more time to post on here too.

Catch yeh later :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I only just seen this thread tonight and Iam intrigued by your original proposition. Are you planning on developing this further?

Long story short, probably not. I built a single oscillator version of it:

I’ve been pairing it with my Kosmic Superspreader and a couple of 3340 based oscillators to create thick bass lines.
It’s really good for getting FM/DX7 type sounds. I think mixing more of them together would make the sound noisier and probably wouldn’t be much more useful than an individual VCDO.

If you’re in the UK I might have some spare boards you can have. I’m aware that that repo isn’t documented that well - feel free to message me if any of it doesn’t make sense.