A litany of dumbassery

A little dremeling, a botch wire, and it will look like it was meant to be so…

1 Like

Sure. That was my first thought. Then I said “OK, first I’ll run DRC and it’ll let me know if there are any other trouble spots.” And I did. And it did.

OH MY GOD.

2 Likes

Rats…
Checklists are useless if they stay in the drawer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been using scripts that call KiKit’s fab command to aid in Gerber generation. By default it runs DRC first, so throws error messages and does not generate Gerbers if there are DRC errors. Except… there was a KiCad bug that caused that step to fail. So I was using the --no-drc option as a workaround.

Fortunately the KiCad bug has been fixed. I just have to make sure nothing uses --no-drc any more.

4 Likes

How to say…

“Me interested” in these scripts :slight_smile:
(Even if during the summer I have other things to do than building any kind of electronics…)

1 Like

Nothing of general use, just a couple that are specific to their project. E.g. calling kikit separate with particular arguments to separate out one of the two or three PCBs in the design, kikit fab to generate the gerbers, and then since kikit fab rather stupidly just names the output folder gerber there’s commands to rename gerber to something specific for that project and board.

1 Like

OK.
I’ll have to investigate kikit, looks very interesting.

Looks like it can be integrated with GitHub actions so I can generate Gerbers and plot docs for every board revision. Cool.

3 Likes

Cool indeed, write a tutorial!

2 Likes

Will do, once I get it working. Maybe I’ll make a template repository.

3 Likes

After some revision today, I now have a couple of scripts for a couple of modules, each of which has one line for each PCB in the project; each of those lines calls another script, which issues two KiKit commands (in addition to some other shell commands), each of which invokes KiCad to do the desired thing. That’s only four levels of indirection, surely I can do better.

5 Likes

holey crap that’s confusing just reading that , good luck …

3 Likes

You know that in computer science, every problem can be solved with another level of indirection, do you ?

3 Likes

Wondering why my version of @Jos’ Envelope-o-matic doesn’t respond to any input…

image image

4 Likes

SINGAL_IN ?
Post must be at least 20 characters…

Does the ide not warn you that there is an unconnected net / label?

Yeah, if you run ERC in KiCad it should give a warning. Unless you have that option turned off, I suppose.

2 Likes

@Jos @Sonosus

Well… yes… I suppose it does… If one were to, you know… run it :crazy_face:

6 Likes

What, and ruin the surprise?

6 Likes

so I bought the Plum Audio version of ornament and crime module well when I was assembling it I chipped the oled screen on the mounting screw heads . apparently they don’t like that and do not work with even the tinniest chip in them .
they were nice enough to replace it for me for shipping .
all good now and have moved on to the build progress thread .

2 Likes