A litany of dumbassery

Ouch,

Are you planning on replacing them, or using some combination of wires and hot glue to get these to fit?

1 Like

or maybe 2 (heu 30 :wink: ) little cheat of alu or … like this

it will be more above with scews but that can work i think …

EDIT : onl 15 you can keep on side like this ! (maybe just a washer for the adjust)

4 Likes

Wot? No hot glue?
Maybe put a micro switch top and bottom as a bumper and extra feature :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Careful with hot glue and slide pots. I did this once and they all seized in place. These things are less sealed than you think.

4 Likes

Squirt some 90+% isopropyl alcohol on hot glue and it releases.

2 Likes

lol interesting ideas , but no I ordered the right ones , these will find there way into some other strip board type projects .

6 Likes

no i mean when i did it, the glue got inside the slide pot’s mechanical gubbins.

4 Likes

Boil it? In water and use a little vinegar. The glue has a lower melting point than any plastic parts. I have sometimes put old pots into a cheap ultrasonic bath of brake cleaner or isopropyl. They’re fiddly as f but not difficult to disassemble.

1 Like

The glue got worked into the sliding mechanism. Pretty neat if that works though, not saying it won’t I have not tried.

I’m probably not going to bother with it, I was just warning against hot gluing sliders caus it ruined a project of mine lol.

4 Likes

Bad enough when a cap explodes, but it looks like this one took out my last functioning Nano :frowning_face:

Added: And Tayda is …

wait for it …

OUT OF STOCK

9 Likes

You do know that caps aren’t supposed to be firecrackers right? :wink:

4 Likes

They should make 'em with metal salts so you get some nice colors when they go bang

5 Likes

How do you get to the Palladium?
Practice!

So I’ve been working on a noise/S&H/glide circuit and was having weird oscillations show up.

Was poking around on it this weekend and saw it was happening when an op-amp that was part of the glide circuit had the load potentiometer fully counter clock-wise - i.e. shorted out. This meant that the op-amp was driving the load capacitor directly. I did some searching and found this:

Q. How does capacitive loading affect op amp performance?

A. To put it simply, it can turn your amplifier into an oscillator.

So I went back to Yves Usson’s reference schematic I was cribbing from, and sure enough he has an extra resistor (R4) before the pot to stabilize the whole thing when the pot is fully ccw.

The lesson here is, if Yves does it he has probably done it for a reason and you should do it too.

5 Likes

Haha! doesnt really fit in to ‘my’ litany of dumbassery… but i thought it fits here better than anywhere else =D

Be careful picking up them old Modulars… you might get a VCR (Voltage Controlled Reality)

8 Likes

It happened a while ago but I fried the Yamaha DD-7 drums I paid too much for to replace the circuit bent DD-5 I got for cheap that I also fried. The CPUs on those things are really sensitive.

2 Likes

If the pins are on the wrong side, there is a simple solution. You can push the header pins to the other side. Just heat the solder up and push.

4 Likes

Nothing was wrong… until I pulled the arduino and the headers have lost six pins on the PCB… :slight_smile:

Come on Oracle… How is a pseudorandomly generated 39 character password that meets all of your requirements “weak”. How?

3 Likes

lol Oracle.
Considering the list of chars that are prohibited, its likely because their password complexity policy is borked.

3 Likes