A litany of dumbassery

Isn’t that a synonym for Oracle ?

4 Likes

Turns out /dev/sdb and /dev/sdg are different. But they both can be formatted the same way, apparently.

3 Likes

Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no oh no! Hope you have backups!

2 Likes

It was the backups. And it is again, but not before a fair bit of work!

3 Likes

Just now I was setting up a Raspberry Pi for some stuff and executed sudo rm -rf /* instead of sudo rm-rf ./*.

At least it wasn’t on a paid VM running popular forum software with ~500 users, no, I definitely haven’t done that in the past…

4 Likes

One thing I learned a long time ago…
Backups are on an external drive, and it is always turned off when doing sys-admin tasks.

2 Likes

$ alias sudont=‘sudo’

Now you type sudont and you think what shouldn’t you be doing…

1 Like

I’ve been waiting two weeks to get AS3360s for my VCA/Mixer. They finally came today. I look at the back of the module and… the chips are already in there. It’s the TL074s I hadn’t put in, and I’ve got loads of those.

Goddammit!!!

9 Likes

I was working on a drone module and decided I wanted to test the CV input. Well, I plugged in my LFO and immediately heard a pop from the LFO. That’s when I realized I hadn’t grounded the LEDs in the vactrols. I had to replace both TL072s in the LFO, one was pretty spectacularly blown up.

12 Likes

Excellent chip gore!

5 Likes

That’s like, album cover worthy.

3 Likes

ouch that’s defo dead silicone

“Where did I put that 13700?”
“No, it’s not on the bench. No, it’s not by the PC. Maybe it’s by the parts drawers?”
*rolls chair halfway to said parts drawers *
crunch

8 Likes

“Captain, the parts detection sensor is picking up a signal”

5 Likes

I wish i could say thats never happened to me before.

2 Likes

Better than getting it in your foot :rofl:

6 Likes

pins upside down: Lego for professionals :smiley:

6 Likes

So either I or the Tayda developer(s) decided it would be a good idea to reset all of the values on the resistor quick order page to 10.

Back to Tayda I go then.

5 Likes

yeah I thought that had a 100 minimum ? maybe I am thinking of somewhere else .

2 Likes

Well at least the order of magnitude did not leave you swamped.

Unlike the time my colleague ordered 10,000 staples from xerox for our copiers. not realising the units were boxes of 10,000…

7 Likes