A litany of dumbassery

whats another $5 on that $40 order thats turned into $80 already LOL ah synth building vrs. eating …

4 Likes

I wouldn’t pay $5 for a capacitor either, but they start at 41 cents at Mouser. At Tayda they’re 21 cents.

4 Likes

yes the film caps are not that much more and you should get a better degree of accuracy / performance from the film caps.

2 Likes

I mean, it’s not like you’re building this

4 Likes

huh. That’s good to know. I only got as far as reading the Wikipedia page on film capacitors and reading that PP caps (ha that sound funny) are the best frequency-wise and polyester caps are more temperature dependent and that if I wanted to go into film caps i needed polypropylene caps (which are expensive).

4 Likes

I used one PP cap in the VCO I just built, for the main integrating cap. The other film caps were PE.

For an LFO, who cares? Non polarized electrolytic would probably work fine and is cheaper than PE. By about 20 cents. I picked film but it probably matters little.

1 Like

I’m wondering who is building this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s the Yusynth version of Moog’s 914 filter bank. BOM specifies 5% polyester. The original Moog design uses custom inductors iirc, and I suspect you can buy plenty of caps for the cost of one of those…

(behringer’s version is ~100 euro, fwiw)

3 Likes

Yet another entry for the Litany.
This thread might be my strongest suit XD

Yet again, I put the output jacks so low that they bump into the rails and push the whole module up several mm.

5 Likes

The world’s quickest way to decap a chip :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well with stimulus checks coming and all I finally splurged on a small stash of film caps in 10nf, 100nf, 220nf, and 1uF.

2 Likes

is a stimulus check some sort of covid payment ?

yes, it’s what the government calls a covid payment when they only do them occasionally and they want to remind you that it’s about the economy.

2 Likes

What a respectable way to go. This BUG ended on the ground and got stepped on cc
Luckily I had my boots on so it was not like stepping on advanced lego. :smile: :grin:

4 Likes

Has the same feeling as:

3 Likes

We used to have some stick insects years and years ago, had forgotten all about them

1 Like

Are you working on this or did you find this. I have been interested in making a fixed sinewave bank for fun. That layout is so clean :smile:

That one’s a filter, but if you want a nice sine wave bank there’s this one from NCS:

You can either buy a kit with quality components and a panel for eurorack (or a pre-built one), or grab the gerbers from the source code package and make your own PCBs (five of each is $6 + shipping from JLCPCB).

1 Like

Ohh… Misread that pcb thanks for the links cool stuff to read :smiley:

What is your experience with switches that have been pushed in a little too hard, and made a little crack on the one or other of the switch-body… Are they generally killed by such an action ?
Or is the cracked plastic not an issue on the switching mechanism ?
Id like to rule that out before completing the module xD

Also, how do you conquer the problem of a not 100% fitting switch, bending the legs and having it stick out a little more when soldered in that way ?

Oh the lit-assery of dumb and try and error !