3D printed Rails

So…little follow up on how my 3D printed rails are holding up. Or…were holding up.

I spent the past weekend in Joshua Tree California at the Joshua Tree Music Festival with my daughter and some friends. Since my friend brought his trailer this time he offered space for any bigger items I wanted to bring and when I suggested brining the modular he quickly agreed.

I found that I was able to run one case of the modular, a small powered presonus studio monitor, my MB sequencer, and a keystep all off a little battery/inverter box so we has a fully off-grid modular setup going for people to play with. Quite a few people were impressed by it and had some fun learning how to make patches.

And my 3D printed parts held up just fine to the bumpy drive out there. Only issue was a lot of my jacks stared to come loose from the bumpy trailer ride.

At least for the first two days.

After we went to sleep at night I moved it into my car to make sure it didn’t disappear or get knocked over or anything. And the 3rd day I didn’t bother to pull it out of the car first thing in the morning. We wandered down to the stage area and by the time I got back to camp it was pretty warm out already. Which…the 3d printed panels and rails did not appreciate:

Pretty sure it all still works…but I haven’t had a chance to fully test all the modules yet. With the misshapen rails though modules tend to pull loose when I unplug patch cords now.

I have a second set of rails already printed that I was going to use in my next case - and reprinting the panels for the warped modules isn’t a big deal…so should be good as new after a few days of printing and transferring things around.

But word to the wise - if you use 3d Printed rails and decide to camp in the desert with your modular - don’t leave it in the car all day :smiley:

14 Likes