2399 Triple Splashback - Solder Failure, any chance for recovery?

Hello to all.

I have had a quite interesting time, getting into the building of my case, which is now, nearly perfect.

And therefore i started with the first module. The 2399.
Everything went fine, til i realised i had the wrong jack sockets. Then i thought “well lets solder on what is remaining and here, and finish it the other day”. I didnt think twice, and soldered the 8pin strip that is used for connecting the main pcb with the jack socket part.

Well. I soldered it in the wrong way around, so that it doesnt fit behind the panel anymore. I was pissed but not devastated. After trying to desolder the stuff, i am now.

Would you say there is a way, to still use the module that way, by bridging the wrongfully soldered connector with 8 single cables to a new “jack connector board” (if that is even available to get)

Or is that whole thing fucked?

Pictures for reference.

One thing is assured, ill never again solder in a pin strip of any figure of pin count in the wrong way/wrong side… these things are bastards !!!

I think your best bet is to carefully remove the Jack by first removing the plastic with pliers. You can slice it up with side cutters a bit if it’s being stubborn. Then, remove one pin at a time. You could also use wires, but that many wires would take just as long. You can see the rest of us doing these things in the litany thread.

2 Likes

Oh okay well, maybe its worth the try, if that means, i could get it to the point where i could safely remove the pins. If you look closely on pic4, it looks like i pulled out the inner copper, of the solder hole ? Could it be that ? Would it even make sense, to attempt soldering in a new thing ?
Or is it already out of contact that way, or will filing the hole up with solder, and the gap between the leg and the hole, still do its job ?

That would be nice news…
First i thought the 2399 would be sold out which it actually isnt…, so hey, if it wont work in the end, ill have to take this as tuition money… :sunny:

Oh and thanks for showing me : “A littany of dumbassery” ! :slight_smile:
Good to see what happens around other peoples desks xD !

Have a great one !

Bodge wires my friend. Trace out where the trace went from that hole and solder in a bodge wire between the pin of the pot and the pin of whatever it connected to.

Also, if you’re using lead-free solder i would humbly suggest switching to leaded solder. PCBs are a lot happier to rework at 250C than 350C.

If you don’t already have a de-soldering solution here are a couple suggestions:
Cheap: Suction Tools Soldering Device Desoldering Pump Suction Tin Removal Iron Manual|Desoldering Pumps| - AliExpress
Shiny: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Desoldering-Station-Anesty-Professional/dp/B07542D82F/

1 Like

Okay well that is the next thing learnt and understood… bodge wires, for sure !
That will be my last call, when it wont to what it should.

I hope the reworking-department stays a little more quiet in the future… but it honestly makes me think for larger projects… I dont want to screw things like the lyra 8 what i plan to attempt some day in the future. Cause then its not just 30 Bucks + Components xD.
Either lead or very very cautious work ethic.
The problem happened in the first place cause i got a little tipsy and didnt double check, one of the most crucial parts of the whole build, i didnt really wrap my head around !

I have a small sucky pump.
But might get a fresh one, mine seems a little out of breath.
The desoldering station looks really promising, maybe something sneaks upon me in the used market :slight_smile:

Thanks for caring !

Ohhh and PS.:

Are there any recommendations about the wire thickness to be used for bodge-wires ?

can be anything for projects like this, but in general try to keep it stranded and thin. If you have an old ethernet cable where the tabs broke off the connector or something like that it can be bodge wires for a lifetime (assuming they didn’t cheap-out with aluminum wire.) Anything 22 gauge or smaller should be fine.

1 Like

Could you maybe instead of desoldering the pins, heated them up and pushed them through the connector to the other side? They would then have formed a nice row of pins on the other side of the board.

3 Likes

That is actually a very solid idea, thanks Jos !
Im definitely trying that with the remaining connector :slight_smile:
Maybe i can take the plastic off without damaging it, otherwise its going to be hardtimes i think.

Either way this type of connectors are alotta trouble when mistreated xD

I imagine “keeping it stranded and thin” is for space and conductivity reasons ?
Nice, i would use this then : https://www.reichelt.de/kupferlitze-isoliert-10-m-1-x-0-14-mm-blau-litze-bl-p10292.html?&trstct=pos_0&nbc=1

Thanks alot for mentioning that !

Luckily they’re cheap enough that you don’t have to save them for later use, so easiest approach is to cut off the legs close to the PCB and then use one of the techniques listed here to clear out the holes:

2 Likes

THUMBS UP !
Thanks alot for that list, i couldnt take the time lately to dive deep into the litany.
Very nice you did that for me :slight_smile:

Looks like i got em out kind of okay :smiley:
Lets see if it works, when soldered the correct way around !