1222 VCO PCB Issue - Have I broken it before I built it!?!?

Hello,

Was getting on really well with this build before I stupidly soldered in the single row header on the wrong side!!

Trying to de solder is proving really tricky, managed to make some headway but now it looks like the copper track on the pcb feeding the 1v/oct section may have lifted?

First proper kosmo module build so not sure, is there a fix if so? Can I solder the dangling copper onto the pin or something else? or have I runied it?

1 Like

Ah… it happened to me as well, that’s really irritating.
I would not bother so much, use a wire to replace the broken part of the circuit and you are to go. Find what is supposed to be connected to what and that’s it.
It won’t look pretty but that’s on the other side :grin:

4 Likes

My, that’s… definitely lifted! :dizzy_face:

Cut off the dangling copper, frame it for a souvenir, and run a wire from the pin it used to connect to to the pin that trace leads to. And go a little more gently on the remaining pins! Don’t start pulling on the pin until the solder’s melted on both sides. After that it’s toothpick time — or your choice of other hole-clearing techniques…

4 Likes

YEP!!

ok so I managed to solder it back to the pin itself…any idea if this will work or will i have to run a wire still you think?

Need to work on my desoldering techniques for sure!!!

2 Likes

After checking that everything is well connected, maybe a little drop of our best friend hot glue to hold the copper would be helpful.

3 Likes

Or CA (crazy glue)… Check continuity from that pin to the other end first. You have a multimeter, right?

Check continuity from the other pins to their destinations, too, in case there’s less obvious pad damage anywhere.

3 Likes

this is great news, will do this for sure

1 Like

yep got a multimeter, am i right in thinking the module will need power to be able to test conitnuity?

No need for power to test continuity. It is actually a lot better and safer to do it without it.
Continuity is just checking if 2 points are directly connected.

4 Likes

AH amazing, it looks like it is connected!!! Now if I hadn’t forgotten to buy the right transistors I could have finished it!

It is quite incredible how quickly you build up a mountain of parts when building, feel like I have opened an electronics store looking on my kitchen table.

As always this excellent community has helped me out, love it here!

6 Likes

I can’t see what is on the other side of the pcb, but remember that instead of pulling out the pins on this side of the pcb, you can also sometimes push them to the other side. This may avoid lifting of the copper traces and damage to the pcb and / or make it easier to desolder an item.

2 Likes

ah this is good to know for the next time, didn’t think about this at all!

1 Like