2399 triple splashback delay

@lookmumnocomputer Is there a way of reducing the amount of dry signal at the output of this module? I’ve seen the note on the schematic for reducing the input level, but wondering if there could be something further ‘downstream’? No worries if the topology doesn’t really allow for this, I get it’s not a ‘true mix’ etc. Sounds great by the way - lots of fun!

3 Likes

its something im looking at this weekend for its big mumma module. big big big momma. so look at R8. maybe even snip it and see what happens. thats the dry signal going to the output.

the triple splash back was an echo to add to the synth line, but I can totally understand wet mix, and In the bigger version im making them completely wet with a dry mix in.

but like I said I recon maybe try R8. maybe even a bypass switch or even a 100k (not going to ground, but just leg 1. and leg 2 instead of the resistor. but snip it and see what happens first!

3 Likes

Fantastic, thanks for the advice, will investigate! Totally happy with the module as it is anyway, as it has been making some rather splendid sounds this evening. Really looking forward to the Big Big Big Big Big Big Big Momma!

2 Likes

Found a bad connection in mine,. I do find the wet signal very low. I’ll try snipping R8. Should I just just have wet signal when the mix pot is all the way up? Only thing my mix pot does is reduce the amount of wet signal. Dry is always there. Also, feedback doesn’t seem to do anything for me. Controls all work for you?

I chopped R8. Seems to have garbled the effect. Hard to hear it on the video, but it get’s weird. Would be a nice extra effect with a switch, but not quite clean enough for a nice delay.

If any US based people are looking for the PT2399 chip I saw that Synthcube has a ton of them in stock for $2 each. Here’s the link. (Also, I believe they are having a 20% off sale this weekend? Need to look for the email again to find the code.) Just another option in case you’re finding your Tayda shipments are taking 1+ months to arrive and you would like the chips sooner vs later.

Edit: MEM20 is the code for Synthcube this weekend

2 Likes

try turning down what your plugging into it. see how that works.

2 Likes
Save 20% on everything in the store-- through the US Memorial Day weekend --   

But then again:

3 Likes

It’s just the simple vco going through, which is on par volume wise with my Braids etc. Would be nice not have to turn down the incoming source. If i were to drop the ingoing sound on this to match the delay volume, I’d have to gain up it’s channel a lot on the mixer to be at a useable volume, which creates extra hiss that I really don’t want. No way to just amplify the wet signal?

I think the SynthCube sale code is: MEM20

hopefully that makes sense, increasing the resistor going into the circuit and reduce the one going out

4 Likes

however also to note, I was playing it with a braids through it earlier, and the delay wasn’t as quiet as the one in your video,

1 Like

Aww, crap! Sorry Sam! I failed to read that. Was just building from the stripboard. That makes more sense now. And yeah, was wondering if my delay seemed lower than others.
My feedback pot does nothing as well, so there’s something up.

aha! I see. yes it would suggest something isnt quite functioning right. even in normal operation yours sounds very very low. and if the feedback isnt working it would suggest its either not going into the delay loud enough or not coming out, let me double check my layout again, when I built it it was fine, but ill check anyway.

1 Like

I just checked all is lining up. so im not sure what the issue is with yours. maybe pop a good shot of the Stripboard back and front up here? maybe there might be something noticeable!

3 Likes

Removing R8 does have an effect when the feedback is turned up to maximum, but otherwise doesn’t make much difference. Still might add a switch though, as it does have an effect. Not sure what to call the panel label - maybe just “Disconnect R8”!

Also tried a potentiometer.

I’d recommend Brian Eno’s approach: "…he had all these little pieces of tape stuck by the keys with the names of the notes written on them, plus little pictures stuck on adjacent to some of the control knobs. I pointed to a cute picture of a sheep and asked, “What’s that mean?” He replied, “Well, I don’t know what that knob does but, when I turn it, it makes the sound ‘wooly,’ so the picture of the sheep reminds me…”

(from an old interview with Ultravox’s Warren Cann)

4 Likes

That’s a great idea - I think the switch needs a picture of a hedgehog…

2 Likes

No doubt it’s me. I’m also out of uncut stripboard. Using the single hole stuff always messes me up. I did shift a resister/cap or two around to save space, but all should be going to the proper place.

3 Likes