2399 triple splashback delay

Not sure if i got in the queue 1st, but looking forward to it… gona have to tap up Thonk for some more 100’s though.

I have everything now to finish all the other modules, so this weekend could be a blur…

3 Likes

I assumed! ill remove then! :slight_smile:

1 Like

the bezel confused the shit out of me lol. :smiley:

Yeah, got the faster shipping For this one :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

This is a great reference!

1 Like

Got a shot for the video on it with all the components!

6 Likes
5 Likes

Ooh, nice shoutouts to @analogoutput and @d42kn355 at the end! And crazy builder voice is back in full force!

5 Likes

Thanks for the shoutout @lookmumnocomputer!

Also, one conclusion I come to is: Don’t put two of these modules adjacent to each other… those side knobs get awfully close together.

(Not that I’ve ordered two. Yet.)

5 Likes

One instance where I think going for an A5 panel size will pay off for me. It’s a 1cm clearance on the height (not much difference) but a 10cm wide Kosmo panel will fit into the space with nearly 5cm clearance widthwise. That’s about an inch either side, for those still using “old money.” I know a lot of people find that space is an issue, but at this rate of progress I don’t think I’m in danger of filling up my 2 metre tall, 75 centimetre wide bookcase any time soon. Not even if I use the lower third as patch cable storage.

The idea is to mount smaller panels (Kosmo or even Eurorack) onto A5 plywood sabots (using A4 on its side for wider panels, up to 297mm wide.) These sizes are readily available in plywood blanks.

2 Likes

Or, y’know, you could just stick a 25 mm blank (or other module) in between…

3 Likes

Hi friends, I was wondering if there is a way to add a variable cutoff to the filter on the PT2399 circuit… I see there is a built in 18db 3 pole low pass filter in the design, is there any way to mod that so you can have control over the frequency cutoff? Like adding a pot somewhere so you can have really super filtered delays, or bright unfiltered delays?

2 Likes

you will fill that space quicker than you think . that emptiness will drive you , to just one more and one more and one more… lol

2 Likes

In theory yes, but the filters use a multi-feedback topology, so you may have to use multi-gang potentiometers to change all the values in sync. This calculator might be useful in figuring things out.

Not clear to me what you expect to get from this, though; afaict the filters are there to get rid of high-frequency components on the way in to the 1-bit delay line, and to turn the delayed square wave back to some resemblance of the input signal. Of course, doing that “wrong” and intentionally introducing aliasing/distortion might lead to interesting effects, but if you just want a straightforward low pass filter it might be better to add a separate one.

1 Like

Thanks @fredrik :slight_smile: My main goal was to just make a filtered delay, kind of like a tape echo, where each delay gets slightly more and more filtered each time the delay cycles.

1 Like

well in essence the pt2399 does that! I guess it doesn’t sound like a tape delay as it doesn’t do delays longer than half a second. but I have reduced the filter capacitors to what was suggested, to make them trail off a little longer than usual. so if you increase the input that should work! also im working on another much larger version and it will have a wet only mode. so you could filter it back into itself! funky idea. best thing to do is give it a go! its a bit of an annoying circuit to breadboard as it seemingly goes all over the place, but it doesn’t take too long! half an hour to get it done nice and neat :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks @lookmumnocomputer !!! I was asked you this yesterday on the livestream as well. Hope you figure out how to use the auto-route in KiCad, that has made my work in Eagle so much easier :slight_smile: take care my dude

1 Like

I don’t think it will fill up. I’m primarily a software guy, what interests me about modular synthesis is the availability of physical controls. I do have a wet dream about eventually having a Keith Emerson-style monster with patch cords, knobs, buttons and flashing lights, but I’m fairly flexible about what would lie behind those panels. It makes more sense to me to have a highly configurable, reprogrammable patch surface than to continue acquiring analogue modules.

I’m still working on strategy, but it will involve a lot of micromodular “lego brick” circuit boards (maybe 5cm x 2cm veroboard) whose purpose will be to electronically “glue” the physical controls to the hybrid synthesis hardware.

4 Likes

Famous last words :crazy_face:.

Seriously, though, I’m curious to see where you take it.

2 Likes

haha , thank you made me laugh . I understand what you are saying but …

1 Like