2399 triple splashback delay

That suggests a whole new meaning for “musique concrète”.

6 Likes

Well yeah, pun intended.

2 Likes

Would love to hear your take.

I built the 2399 triple splashback delay but it does not work. It powers up and the status led comes on. The bypass works just fine. If I turn the delay on nothing much happens but the output is significantly lower and all my treble is gone and there is no delay effect whatsoever. None of knobs seem to any effect at all and also none of the other leds light up. Has anybody any idea what could be wrong and how to fix it ?

1 Like

Usual routine.

Check for Power and Ground at the IC’s
Check For missing Components
Check and re flow any dodgy looking joints
Follow the signal path through the schematic from the input with a test probe connected to your final output ( tip to the probe, ground to ground )

4 Likes

I’m having the same problem - I think I’ve isolated the issue - the signal doesn’t seem to be getting past the first op-amp, or if it is it’s massively attenuated.

The advice of @twinturbo is the only way … I’ll report back…

… but thought I’d mention since it’s the same probelm @rhizomax had.

Anyone else seen this?

if this is the case! I suppose there is an issue with the solder or a value around the first opamp?

also maybe for testers, turn down what is going into it so its a similar level going in.

also @rhizomax that sounds like a usual its not working right issue! the feedback when something is up usually just makes it sound a bit less hi fi. may I suggest checking the soldering around the capacitors, especially the ones that look to be soldering to the ground plane. turn the soldering up in temperature a tiny bit and just re wet the solder

1 Like

I had to substitute a 33k instead of a 30K for R40, but I wouldn’t have expected it to make a significant difference… but that’s where my investigations are focussing!

I’ll try adjusting input levels - down and up - to see if that makes any difference. @lookmumnocomputer any ideas of voltage ranges which would be good/bad?

1 Like

yeah that would not make much difference! what are you plugging into it?

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay in replying - input is from a LMNC Performance VCO :smiley: (which performs perfectly!)…

… I’ll reflow everything around that section of the circuit - already swapped out the 074 and I’ll treble-check values, in case I’ve done something daft.

Quick update - reflowed the whole board and am progressing through the circuit…values and connections check out up to the 2nd delay chip, at which point I ran out of time… however it still looks like there’s no signal after the 074 reduction opamp, so continuing to focus there as well.

Feels like one of those times I’m just missing something obvious!

1 Like

Thanks for your help and your tips! I finally figured out what was at fault I had accidentally put in a 7905 instead of a 7805 now everything seems to work fine except for the time led. It just never lights up. Is that normal ? What does that led actually indicate at all ?

3 Likes

wheyyy. good news. the time led acts upon the extremes of the CV input. I could make a mod to make it do different things mebbe?

4 Likes

Fixed!

Tip of the day - replace my eBay purchased caps with better ones from Rapid Online. Seems that my cheap and cheerful capacitors were of wild and varied values, despite being marked the same!

Awesome module and I love it - just fabulous and I can’t stop enough of it!

6 Likes

Hi!
I just built one but itnis very noisy and distorted.
Any clues? Has anyone had that?

1 Like

Have you turned everything down?

2 Likes

Hi!
So I actually tested the delay with a guitar plugged into it and the level was certainly way too low.
I plugged my kosmo and all seems to work.

There is something odd though, it eats the high frequencies away, even with all mix knobs down, just engaging it cuts the highs.

I first had the power connector backwards (no chips in the sockets)
Need to sort that out, something may have burned somewhere.

losing all the highs sound does happen sometimes, it sounds like you need to check your soldering, this can happen due to a few connections not made, especially look at connections between capacitors and ground! wiggle components from the top and see if the solder joints wiggle below. if they do they are not making a proper connection

3 Likes

Hey @lookmumnocomputer, I was wondering if you’re going to restock the splash back delay sometime soon so it’s worth waiting with my next order? Have a nice week!

hey yep by end of the week! I explained it on this page just now :slight_smile: #2001 keyboard sequencer - #61 by lookmumnocomputer

2 Likes