2221 crosforbermordulator

This is a forum page for any build log stuffs with the CrosForberMordulator synth voice module. aimed at being a bit on the funky side of simple synth voices. It can sound like funky fmish sounds to normal sounds to this that and the other.

the BOM is up and such im just annotating the schematic better and that will be up soon, and a video following on (hopefully) sunday.

it is largely based on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsTGu2V7tcU

but when i was laying out it naturally got more complex ha oops.

project page, where also the schematic will end up. im just trying to break up the schematic as this was intended as a continuation to the above4 youtube video but it went somewhere else :grimacing:

18 Likes

@lookmumnocomputer Is the BOM reversed?

current:

SPDT SWITCH on-on 1 TRIG
SPDT SWITCH (on) off (on) *if on is in brackets its momentary 8 SYNC

should it be like this:

SPDT SWITCH (on) off (on) *if on is in brackets its momentary 1 TRIG
SPDT SWITCH on-on 8 SYNC
3 Likes

oh crud. thankyou that would have been embarrasing. no matter how many times i check these. there is always 1 thing ha. thanks.

1 Like

if you have some sharpies sitting about.

11 Likes

A new module?? We’re so back!!!

Edit: is this the first appearance of the mythical 60cm Kosmo format??

1 Like

it is indeed 60cm!! it was going to be 80 but it was so spaced out. :smiley:

2 Likes

Awesome! Just placed an order for this module, as it would make a perfect second voice in my case!

hope it is what you are after! there is a vid coming on it, i was going to put it up on monday, but remembered got a vid with hainbach tomorrow with a new rotopops ep. so itll be up this coming weekend! hopefully itll answer any things with the build. but its relatively straight forward, same as the other ones just a bit more knobs and jacks :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks! I love the layout of this module. Because of the nicely spread out knobs and the single row of sockets at the bottom, it looks very calming. The built-in noise and filter are exactly what I was looking for to add to my case, so this ticks all the boxes!

1 Like

It’s a fun one! Need to sit down and fully calibrate it tomorrow, and then spend a week trying to understand it. It’s so very different than the simple and predictable 1222/1113 it’s playing against at first listen.

8 Likes

how did i miss this. ( oh yeah lifes been a muddle ).

Ordered now but who knows when I will get to buildin… Not been in a synthy vibe for a while.

Rob

2 Likes

This is so cool. I’ve been looking for a project that could be built into a wine bottle box as a small portable voice, I wonder if I could modify this idea although boringly it’d probably need minijacks to fit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, i have a little issue with my crosforbermordulator : the envelope 1 and 2 doesn’t works and also the trigger.

Any help ?

I checked almost all the components but…

i dont see anything immediately. does the switch work the trigger swoitch?
if the lights on envelope generators domnt work at all. points towards maybe IC4. D1, or R53

3 Likes

also check solder on the pcb inter connectors on the jack board. looks like a couple havent got any solder on em from the photo

2 Likes

Oups yes my bad, it was the IC4, Thanks it works perfectly !

6 Likes

I have put together the 2221 module. Everything works, except the main oscillator, and I have no idea what might be wrong:

• Checked all connections betwee components alongside the schematic with a multimeter, everything is connected as expected.
  • Checked power to the chip, and all power voltages seem right.
  • Used a listening probe on pin 8 of the AS3340, and then hear nothing [whereas I can hear sound out of pin 8 of the LFO AS3340]
  • Reflowed all solder joints around the AS3340.
  • Replaced the AS3340 chip with another one, still no sound.
  • Repeated previous steps after alteration (reflow solder, replace chip, etc.)

What could be wrong? Are these film capacitors shown in this picture to blame? They are not bipolar just as electrolytic capacitors, right? I have used them for the LFO as well, and that one is working, so it seems unlikely to me they are the problem, but always good to check with the experts reading this. :slight_smile:

not sure! it should work eek. double check resistor values that have gone in. the solder to the potentiometer and the preset potentiometers.
apart from that i dont know. maybe socket funkt. not sure!

Check control voltages — each of R22, R24, R1, R10, R9 should connect to the others on one side and to other stuff on the other side; check the voltages on that other side. They should add up to more than a few volts, maybe 6 to 10 volts total. (Voltages at R1 and R9 will depend on what the LFO/VCLFO and envelope are doing and how much they’re attenuated. Voltages at R22, R24, and R10 are probably the more important ones.)