1222 Tuner VCO Module

This is why I didn’t even solder it in yet :crazy_face:. Once there’s a use for it, I will probably put in bare headers so they at least look different.

4 Likes

Okay, I understand. Thank you for explaining it Sam.

next time I must make it more clear haha. bigger labels or something. the reason they are the same component was to simplify buying 1 different types, but yes it was an issue! im surprised you blew opamps! oops. when I was making them I did plug em in different ways it didn’t do anything funky for me, but I will definitely add more warning labels onto it!!! :smiley:

2 Likes

As noted in that thread, you end up with −24 V relative to GND fed into the input and output of an otherwise unpowered opamp, so I can see why it might have been a bit stressed :slight_smile:

(not clear if anyone blew up the Arduino or the 3340, but there was definitely some fried opamps in that thread)

2 Likes

Hi guys! I just ordered the VCO Panel/PCB. I´ve just done some DIY-KITS before, so as long as there is any description, I´m very much enjoying building modules.
Now this is the first time where I have to collect all the components from the B.O.M by myself and I noticed that this is not an easy thing to do haha!
In every online-shop there is always at least one thing missing or out of stock, so at the moment I have 4 different carts open and ebay I didn´t even count yet.

My question: Do you have any advise how to handle this process a bit easier? Or is this just the way every (beginner)one has to go through? Don´t get me wrong, I´m enjoying this and all, but I´m searching since days to get all the components ready. Especially when it comes to the ALPHA 9mm POTS - since thonk is still closed I found a few different ones but I´m not sure which is the best alternative…
Sorry - forgot to mention that I live in Austria, Europe :wink:

4 Likes

oh ok thanks!!! Didn´t see that thread, will check it out!

I find it handy to keep a notebook or spreadsheet of components I need for stuff I want to build. You’ll see many common components crop up with pots, jacks and passive bits like caps and resistors. If you have the funds then bulk buy or if like me you have no spare cash then salvage all you can from junk. Many of us here just buy what we need for a project and over time build up a pile of spares and extras.
The best advice I can give after nearly 50 years of making is to come out as a maker and ask friends and family for all their old electronics then build a nest of it to live in.
Modular synthesis is the crack cocaine of music and DIY just makes it cheaper and more satisfying.
No online shop ever has everything and it’s best to shop around. Just get what you need until all you need are the odd component and your spares.
Welcome and Enjoy

1 Like

I want to encourage you to confirm with whatever resources you feel like, but i compiled a list of components and their prices from Tayda a while back. This came from a lot of time researching, and if it helps id be happy i saves someone else’s time. Its a lot of the components i saw at the time from strip board layouts and such, so it may not include everything thats in the BOM of sam’s newer PCBs.

Also welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you very much! That helps me a lot!! :wink:

3 Likes

Hello guys! I have a question about the 4 “precision” resistors - as I already saw in Sam´s video, the important thing is that each resistor has the same value. Someone in the comments pointed at a RESISTOR ARRAY which apparently should be perfect for that purpose - How would I solder this array of 12 pins? Or maybe its easier I just sort out 4 equal 10k resistors? Because I can´t get any B.O.M. - matching “precision” types at the shops I´m currently in (TAYDA, DIGI-KEY and MODULAR ADDICT)

Modern manufacturing is pretty good, so you can just grab a bunch of 1% resistors and your favourite multimeter, and do some sorting. Precision resistors are for people who build things at volume (or for use in more extreme conditions), and want someone else to do the sorting.

(but Digikey definitely has all the precision stuff you’d ever need if you need precision stuff, though.)

2 Likes

Ok great, thank you!!!

I just grabbed some resistors from a recent Tayda order, and starting at the end of the tape I had to measure eight resistors to find four identical values (4½ digit meter, so <0.1%).

For the curious/patient, Dave Jones at the eevblog looked at the distribution of some name and no-name resistor brands here and here.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh it took me about 2 months to figure out ordering parts from the different places. Life was a lot easier when @Caustic introduced me to Tayda!

For the 1222 Tayda should have most everything that you will need except the display, rotary switch, LM4040AIZ 4.1 voltage regulator, and the AS3340/CEM3340 chip. Right now they are out of almost all of the potentiometers that fit with Sam’s builds. Mouser (in the US) carries everything else that Tayda doesn’t have. I imagine that Mouser in Europe would also have these parts?

1 Like

Good to know that I’m not the only one haha :wink: Yes Tayda seems to be a good place to search…! Cool to have such a friendly community which is very helpful!

3 Likes

On parts sourcing: For one module I built last year, Tayda had most of the parts, but there was an IC I could find domestically (US) only at Mouser, jacks I could find only at SynthCube, and pots from Small Bear. Four separate orders would’ve made for a crazy amount to pay for shipping. Then on a whim I checked Thonk and they had all three, and tracked shipping for about six pounds. Unfortunately by then I’d already ordered the pots from Small Bear, but even so it was cheaper and just about as fast to get one order from England than two from the US. Lesson learned: I don’t always need to shop the US sources.

3 Likes

Oh you are definitely not alone. I find Mouser frustrating as there are way too many options and they get into really specific detail, which is great for some builders, but it made me crazy. Everyone on this board has been amazingly wonderful and helpful. It’s a really good group of people. I ask a million questions and no one has made me feel stupid for asking (I do that all on my own…lol.) Welcome to the group!

6 Likes

Great to hear that! I got all my orders out today, so now I´m excited to start as soon everything has arrived. Sure I will have a lot of questions as well haha

4 Likes

Tayda is great, but as was mentioned you are going to find chips and random bits n bobs that aren’t there. My strategy was to source a good bit of components I’m planning on using a lot of from tayda, then for random projects, I can just buy this or that as needed. For the 8 bit computer project that has admittedly been sitting by the wayside, I had to got to jameco to get the chips. This stuff happens. But, as long as I have a supplier for your core components, I feel better knowing I have the basics of what I need. I do t feel like I’m lost in an ocean of thing to get.

3 Likes

I look forward to your ‘mail day’ post.

3 Likes