1008 MIDI to Trigger

10 Likes

I don’t think I personaly have a need for this, so I ordered it anyway…

5 Likes

It’s the only way to be sure.tiny

Looks an awful lot like the 1007, which it seems is unfortunately not in the store anymore!

So for someone unfamiliar with how Midi and modular talks to each other…

How is this different from the 1007?

This just outputs triggers. A MIDI to CV outputs triggers, gates, and CVs.

1 Like

According to the “stuff” page I see the following “All outputs can be assigned to anything be it note outputs or program changes.” Probably have to wait for Sam to chime in but I’d interpret that as being able to split across trigger outs and CV/Gate pairs if you modify the Arduino code? I missed out on the 1007 and have a handful or Barton drum PCBs in the queue as well as the DR55 clone from circuit benders, will have to pick this up if it’s truly that flexible.

“this squeezes 18 trigger outputs into a 10cm wide module, with 2 midi thru connections. it is based on an arduino nano on the back and some code can be modified to send start stop commands and midi clocks if you don’t need all 18 trigger outputs”

Putting out CVs would require different hardware than triggers/gates: Either a DAC, or a PWM filter. I think he just means notes or program changes can generate trigger outputs.

I would assume the 1007 is just out of stock (sometimes the listing disappears if something’s out of stock) and will be back. The 1008 would be a simpler and specialized, complementary module mainly for triggering drums.

3 Likes

I need to fix my drum module… It’s about the only thing I can trigger with the 1008 of any use.

Oooh, I see the code is up. Build this week if I have the energy, been on holiday and a bit nackered.

1 Like

I have built this, I have gone through EVERYTHING with a fine tooth combe, tried several different arduinos but I t just wont work. so I am guessing I am being dumb with the code. Does anyone know do you need to add a specific midi lib to it ? or was it included with the original code. ?

When its running the rx data led on the arduino is flashing, but nothings coming out.

so annoying as i have had 100% success record on every kosmo module I have made so far!

If you’re missing a library it’ll throw an error message when you try to compile the code.

Is the MIDI input LED flashing? (Should be if RX is flashing, but just checking.)

Are any of the output LEDs lighting up at all? Is there a DC voltage on any of the outputs?

Check your ±12 V on the TL074 chips.

Run the Blink Arduino example sketch. That flashes the builtin LED, but that’s connected to D13, so it should also flash one of the module’s output LEDs. If not, that points to a hardware problem after the Nano.

No midi led flashing. I am using a 74hc14 Schmitt rather than ls bit that shouldn’t make a difference ? All the op amps are working fine if you unplug the Arduino and slide your finger down the clips the LEDs light up on the corresponding pins not scientific the Arduino is fine with blink test and using it on another board with different code

But the MIDI LED is not driven by the Arduino. It connects to the 6N137:

If the RX LED is flashing and the MIDI LED isn’t then that suggests there’s something wrong with the 74HC14 or the transistor or the LED or… none of which I would think could affect the outputs, but maybe there’s some connection somehow.

Of course RX, but not MIDI, should flash while you’re sending the sketch to the Nano, but I assume you’re saying it’s flashing when MIDI input comes in too, and then it should be both.

Arr I just realised I used a 6n136 not 7 that might be the issue? I’ve ordered the correct one !

3 Likes

had trouble with 136’s

But also had trouble with 137’s if there is no decoupling capacitor as per the data sheet. which there is not on this board.

1 Like

Built most of mine

I am also learning Davinci Resolve, getting better with it , but it slows things down build wise!!! and there’s some sections in this vid that should have been cut or sped up…

1 Like

BTW where did you get the schematic in that resolution, the one on the web site i can barely read. I know Im old but so!

It is the one on the website. It’s 1500x1061, if you open the image in a new tab or save it to your disk you can see it at full resolution.

I have seen 1 data sheet that says “Must” for the bypass cap… a 136 may even work with the cap in place. I have two batches of random 137 and one does work without , whilst the other does nothing…