Yusynth Mixout, potentiometer question

Hi everyone,

I intend to make the mixer part of this module in eurorack and just for fun (and aestethic) I plan to put slider pots instead of standard level knobs (the panning CV and level will still be knobs).

mixout-module

MIXOUT

But as I’m looking to get all the components I need, I cannot find the 250k log pots anywhere… I’m then wondering why Yusynth has choosen this type of pots, is there any good reason to follow the schematis to the letter ?

For other mixer I made, I’ve used basic 100k linear pots, does it change something if I used those 100k slider pots (which are easily available) ?

When I will have all the components, I plan on printing my own circuit on copper, we’ll see how it goes :wink:

1 Like

(Link above is broken, should be http://yusynth.net/Modular/EN/MIXOUT/index.html)

It’s an attenuator with no fixed resistors in series. So there should be no reason you can’t replace it with a lower value — higher value could be problematic but lower is OK. Log or linear is up to your taste. So linear 100k should be fine.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your answer, I will do that then… :wink:

Now, just to know, how does the VU meters work in the circuit ? In the schematic there is no information on how to connect it… (and what if I was to put just 1 VU to check it in mono? Is that doable ?)

I see that Vumnoo has done the module… Any advice to complete the module ?

If you are hesitant to decide between log or linear pots, then maybe read Controlling Volume—log pots and/or The secret life of Pots. And if you still do not know what to decide you can use the parallel resistor trick and add a switch between the parallel resistor and the potentiometer. That will give you the flexibility to choose for a linear or pseudo logaritmic response.

1 Like

you can posisbly use 100k log pot and on tab 3 add a 150 k resistor the what would go to tab 3 goes to the other end not soldered to tab 3. So your meter would see 100k + 150k = 250k basically and there you go 250k, and since using a log pot you should be good. I have done this for 1k pots needing to be a 1.3 k rating. Good luck and we are here to elp not hinder qauetions

The VU meters connect to the output/monitor board - the connections are shown on the original circuit diagram and board layouts. You could create a mono signal to monitor by using an op-amp stage as an inverting mixer but this would mean that you could be significantly overdriving one channel even though the mono signal was still within limits. And a stereo meter means you can check the panning is working as expected.