What was that filter sweeping formant trick?

I’ve been going back through the Patreon forum and searching here and I can’t find it. Does anyone remember the trick @lookmumnocomputer mentioned that sounded like 90% of a formant filter with 10%. Of the effort/cost?

3 Likes

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not sure which your talking about.

2 Likes

like vowelish sounds?

3 Likes

Was it a fixed filter bank?

-Fumu / Esopus

1 Like

I’m not a patreon, so I can not quote anything from there, but if you have a low pass filter set to the lower mid range of its frequency range and then add some resonance ( not too much ), then you get a vowel kinda sound ( works with square and saw and possibly with others ) for anything with not too fast an adsr.

Edit: I forgot: add a high pass filter in series and make sure they combined form a bandpass filter. This will provide you with resonances in a certain frequency band, much like is the case in human speech.
This can be done easily with a Korg K2, MS20 and similar synths.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s probably what it was. I remember trying it on my eurorack and even making a little video but now I can’t find it and don’t remember how you (I) did it. I want to think it was a filter combined with a s&h or Something.

2 Likes

ohhh yeah. filter audio going into sample and hold cv input. then the sample and hold being trigger clocked by a really quick oscillator. sort of like a downsampler but makes vowels

6 Likes

I don’t think I’ve heard that but it sounds like a neat trick.

-Fumu / Esopus

1 Like

As always, thanks @lookmumnocomputer. BTW they’ve been playing one of your Master Modular jams on one of my favorite streams lately. Zed at Nightride FM said he reached out and you gave him the go-ahead. I told him he should add “Desparado Vespa” to the rotation too. Would that be cool? I think all you have to do is say “go for it” here and I can point him to it and we can share the joy with thousands more new Synth lovers.

2 Likes