Twin T Drums (Practical Electronics 1978)

That’s another circuit entirely

7 Likes

Figured I would post this in this thread…

I finished up my drum synth. I used the Extralife version of the Big Button he called the Hex-Drum. Note on that one is you need to use an Arduino Nano Every for his code to work. There is also a simple 555 timer clock to play it independently. I ended up adding a second noise board for the 6th voice. I figured out replacing one of the 1M resistors with a pot gives you a sort of decay control. I also changed some of the resistor values on the mixer input (by adding a resistor on pin 2 of the pots) because I was getting some strange results. Another change was adding a switch so you can change the drum the snare noise plays with, it can be the high or low bongo.

20 Likes

This thing is just gorgeous!

4 Likes

Looks like you buy it in a store ! really nice !!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very Cool , nice end caps.

That’s stunning, fair play. Are the end caps 3D printed?

Thank you! They are 3D printed. I went with a higher layer height because I liked the look of it. I also used brass inserts for the screws.

2 Likes

I started using threaded inserts just recently, they make such a difference. (Most things I print have screws just forced in to cut their own thread, but where I need strength and there’s a chance I’ll be unscrewing multiple times it has to be brass!)

2 Likes

Hi,

The 3d printed side panels look great. Did you design them by yourself, or are the stl files available somewhere to download/buy?

1 Like

I did! I just created a project on Printables to share the case design: Printables

6 Likes

Could I ask what size end mill you are using for the engraving?

It’s engraved using a laser cutter, so no end mills or anything.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! :heart_eyes:

Happy little cake !!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Dud Is the updated stripboard verified? I can’t get any sound (Snare/Hihat) from the noise section.

2 Likes

yes it’s the good one, i made mine with it with some add of the complet schem. it should work

3 Likes

So what exactly is the inductor doing here? It is attached to the same lines as the 4k7 resistor so I am a bit confused as to what is actually happening here seeing as power is going to just take the path of least resistance right? Also I don’t really know how they work so if it is something super simple I apologize. I am not an electrician/electrical engineer, I just play with big boy lego and make things that make noises I like.

2 Likes

Sorry but i’m a noob in theory :slight_smile:
but i’m thinking that someone here can explain to you

30 years ago at school i may have known… sorry tooo…

Look up “parallel RL circuit”. It’s… sort of… analogous (but really not) to an RC circuit. In simplest language, “the path of least resistance” depends on the frequency of the signal. Which means it’s impedance, not resistance. The impedance is proportional to the frequency; in a capacitor, it’s inversely proportional.

Which is about all I know about inductors.

6 Likes