Twin T Drums (Practical Electronics 1978)

It’s an inductor (H for Henry), not a capacitor.

It’s the coily thing just above TR4 here:

EDIT: Or the one here, maybe? (haven’t watched the video :grinning:)

EDIT: The BOM describes them as SC-60 chokes (another name for inductor), for which you can find a datasheet but no sign that they’re still made. Also, they’ve misplaced a µ in that datasheet, it seems. Not sure what exact component @lookmumnocomputer used, but pretty much any inductor of the right value (or larger?) should work here (e.g. search for “bourns 100 mh” and you’ll find a bunch, but there are many other manufacturers).

3 Likes

here’s where I got the inductor! probably an equivelent listing in your country

the reason I didnt add the second choke was because I removed the other filtering cap from the snare because it sounded better to me, the filtered one sounded naff, but then quickly realised it was then the same as the hi hat circuit.

Also another thing to note! try using the best caps you have lying around, anything none ceramic haha, you will yield better and also less noisy results, it seems quite important in this.

I will have a schematic of it tweaked to work happily in modular very soon also :).

4 Likes

Thanks a lot @fredrik & @lookmumnocomputer :slight_smile:

if you are in the USA you can get them @ MOUSER electronics for 44 cents /a piece , the same style LMNC gets in the UK . the resistance of chokes and inductors is 1/R , and and yet has resistance just inversed in mhos not ohms .

3 Likes

another thing I thought id add! in a photo module im testing, Poly caps are better, infact any caps other than ceramic for the capacitors in the Twin T circuit! just a heads up.

less noise bleed, the ceramics are actually pretty dodge!

7 Likes

ERROR ! With “Part 2” of the drum machine, on the stripboard layout, the noise output has no connection to anyone! How is it to connect right?

greetings

There’s no mistake i think, the noise output is add to bongo to make a snare sound watch the video for explanation :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes you are right, but how embarrassing of me, only now see that Noise has a connection to the outside world with the 15k resisted, sorry!

1 Like

I wanted to say briefly that, in my experience, the “drum machine” only worked with the CD4011AE, had tried it with 3 different CD4011BE, and it didn’t work! I don’t know if this is already known, but I’ll just post it!

Where did you find one? As @fredrik said, it looks like the A is virtually unobtainable.

I found 4 sellers on eBay from Germany, Great Britain and Taiwan, in Germany where I live I paid 4 € including shipping for an RCA CD4011AE! Afterwards it worked like a charm, unfortunately not with BE!

2 Likes

Hm… I bought a couple of CD4011BE a couple of days ago :no_mouth:. I wonder if the CD4011UBE will work :thinking:

I had tried different ones especially for the drum machine, they were: SGS HCF4093BE, HEF4011BP, Motorola 4011BCP and a China copy Texas Instruments CD4011BE … no reaction! It only worked for me with the CD4011AE from RCA! You might be lucky with the UBE, if you report so!

Compare and contrast: CD4011A (from the RCA COS/MOS book linked earlier):

Texas Instruments CD4011B (inputs and outputs are buffered, as per JEDEC standards):

Texas Instruments CD4011UB (unbuffered):

(that’s the same drawing as in the RCA handbook :slight_smile: TI got it from RCA, via GE and Harris).

5 Likes

I have built the low bongo and clave with CD4011BE, but can only get sound out if I remove the resistors from the NAND outs. It’s pretty noisy too, the line between self oscillation and not is very fine, and getting close enough to make a passable sound still has some very slight oscillation. I think using a multi-turn pot might work better since 470k (I’m using 500k) is a very large range for a single turn.

Off-topic: Dud made a really nice Twin-T kick that has proper tone control separate of decay and it doesn’t look like it requires any obscure parts…

1 Like

Thanks but it’s not my schem it’s a @Krakenpine one, i make only a stripboard layout :slight_smile:

Hello dear people,
someone might tell me how I can hear the snare sound, he had explained it in his video, but unfortunately my English is very bad, can you explain to me how I should patch noise out etc.? … Isn’t the L7805 the wrong way round?

Many thanks in advance

There’s a lot of videos in this thread so not sure which part of which one you’re referring to, but the snare output is a mix of noise and bongo; from the article:

See the circuitry around TR5 on page 326.

2 Likes

Hi Guys,
i’m sorry but i have to ask some stupid annoying beginner questions again!
Please take a quick look at the pictures, there are two questions for you!
Also the question, can I only play the high bongo or the snare or can I play both separately from each other? I put the “Noise Out” together with the “High Bongo” in my mixer / amplifier and thus get my snare sound, but then I no longer have a “High Bongo” available, unfortunately my noise sound is quite quiet, it can be in the video Snare more convincing, I think I’m doing something wrong!

2 Likes