Transistor Ladder Filter panel

Seems like this might be a good time to split off a new topic.

1 Like

I think Iā€™ve taken the idea far enough for now, apologies for the derail. My thinking on this needs time to mature.

I like the tweaks! I want one!

1 Like

love it! Want as well!! :smiley: if there are extras of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love the panel. Donā€™t change the font.
For me itā€™s not immediately clear where to put my jack with LFO output for cutoff and where for resonance, but I donā€™t know synthesis very well yet, so maybe thatā€™s just me.

Both are for the cutoff frequency, but the v/oct has an exponential relation. So if you tune the Filter, you can play it like a vco! Then you can use the linear cv for vibrato or something :wink:
Resonance has no CV.

2 Likes

Sure! Not tested yet, so be patient :wink: I will order in a few days and then also put this on github.

3 Likes

Thank you for explanation.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t count a module as finished until youā€™ve tested it. But thatā€™s probably just the software developer in me speaking.

I suppose the difference is you can test it until you finish it. At least in a way.

Where did you pick up your BC557C? I found the 547s but no luck on the 5ā€™s

DigiKey has the BC557CZL1, listed as obsolete but they have stock:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/rochester-electronics-llc/BC557CZL1/2156-BC557CZL1-ONTB-ND/11543189

Tayda has the BC557B, which is a lower gain version than the BC557C. Might work.

The docs say in reference to the paired BC547C, ā€œThe specified transistor is BC547C, but most small-signal NPN transistors should work just fine.ā€ No similar remarks about the BC557C, but thatā€™s probably a good sign ā€” having said you can sub the ladder transistors, if the expo converter transistors were critical theyā€™d say so, right?

2 Likes

it can drive you crazy looking for parts . canā€™t find it , change one dam letter / number in your search and then there is a million of them .

2 Likes

Yeah, just try out any similar transistor you have aroundā€¦

@klausklaerwerk used a 559C and it works:

1 Like

is there a BOM for this?
I just received one from @CTorp

Just look up the Kassutronics build guide/BOM. All of his guides are really great.

5 Likes

Thank ya good sir :slight_smile:

Except you have to buy 6,010 of the BC557CZLsā€¦lol. I donā€™t think i want to be a BC557C store :upside_down_face:

EDIT: Mouser has BC547Cā€™s for 7.6 cents at qty 100.

2 Likes

yeah I had to buy 200 @ 24.9k resistors the min. , of which I will use less than 6 and probably never touch the rest in this life time ā€¦

Iā€™m just gonna use one of the 557Bs that i already have around. As far as the 547s the footnote was talking about using 2N3904s so I donā€™t think itā€™s really that important.

1 Like