The Video That Got Me Into @lookmumnocomputer

I show this to anyone who will watch. It’s still one of my favorites.
3 Likes

This video got me obsessed!
I was really into LSDJ and modding DMG’s at the time.

I can’t remember which video I saw first, but for the mad scientist side of LMNC, The “It’ll kill you 5000” video is the one that clinched it for me. Especially that moment at 1:17 where he burns himself on the hot microwave transformer but continues on. Cracks me up every time. Lovely.
As a “rich investor” myself, I became a patron immediately.

Musically I think the first one I really enjoyed was “wasted days”.

But my favorite musical video from Sam remains “Animal” from his days with “Dive Bella Dive” when he was still “just” a guitar player. (Sorry)

Barns has an incredible voice.
4 Likes

First video I recall watchin / stumbling upon:

The ones that make me immediately be a fan :

“Calm down class!”

This is the video i show people to get them an idea what to expect. That quick demo of an RC filter and a hacky vactrol shows how simple something -can- be, and how you can just be creative with this stuff. When you make shit less intimidating, but also give someone something of value in the end product i feel you got some good teaching shits right there yessir.

4 Likes

…and I forgot about this one, which is probably the reason I eventually got into EuroRack so hard:
4 Likes

For comedic value, it’s tough to beat the fart box video. The grand dad voice gets me every time.

4 Likes

In October I stumbled on a youtube video “The sound Blaster Synth”

An arround the same time “Darude Reconstruction by Dr Mix…”

The accidentally the LMNK synth museum…

I continued watching 8 bit and DR Mix… and did not really follow sam…

Until this “3-Way” C64 Project, I then got hooked on LMNK…

3 Likes

This one has a lot of the elements I love. Bit of opinion on obselesence and serviceability. Skelingtons/humour. Looking like a member of Blur. Kerayzze voice over (I miss those!) Reusing old stuff that people chuck out. General whimsy.
Lethal voltages.

Who can argue with any of that???!

Great stuff.

7 Likes

This was the first LMNC video I ran across:

And I thought, this guy I need to watch more. I had never known much about synthesis and I went on a 2 week info-binge about them because of this video.

My most recent favorite is this one he did with Orla Gartland:

I really hope they do more videos together, I think they complement each other nicely.

8 Likes

For me it was fuzz for a fiver. I was already getting electronics before lookmumnocomputer, but his motto “Don’t be afraid to try it” Really help motivate me to keep trying until my projects worked. Now got a working synth loosely based on some of his designs.

5 Likes

That’s awesome, never seen that one before…

Pulp used to be a staple disk in my car AutoChanger, with my big 6x9 Kenwoods… Finaly 25 years later my funds mean I may be able to rekindle my ICE hobby…

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s only on Orla’s channel, was lucky that youtube put me onto it. Starting a slow burning campaign to encourage them to work together again as I love this video.

3 Likes

I hate cover’s, but that was brilliant! More Sam and Orla please!

3 Likes

You need a “usually” in that sentence; there’s a ton of absolutely fantastic reinterpretations (occasionally because the original artist is a better songwriter than singer/musician :slight_smile:) and then there’s the ones where the original artist just went “that song isn’t mine anymore”.

(metalheads (and everyone else too) should check out two minutes to late night’s series of bedroom covers, btw))

4 Likes

Just remembered that Sam lives in Margate now and there is a pandemic on…so collaboration opportunities are limited.

3 Likes

I guess you didn’t click the bedroom covers link :grinning:

3 Likes

If nine English ukulele players can cover Kraftwerk, I don’t see the problem.

7 Likes

That was first (last) in my youtube history list.
I dont even remember watching it! And before i ever looked any lmnc, youtube was offering t he m to me couple times, i wiped them off like " some std youtuber again" :rofl: didnt know he was and is the best youtuber and more!

4 Likes

It took a few for me.

First video I saw was in 2018 - thought it was cool but didn’t watch any other vids:

A few years later this one came up in my feed:

Must have been the beginning of this year.

My brother Dan worked for Volition games in the 90s actually started some of the Freespace 2 soundtrack using one of these. I shared the video w/ my brother and we both had quite a laugh thinking Sam just has no idea how handy a thing like that was back in the 90s when jotting down song ideas.

But it was the megadrive video that flat out blew me away:

Sam you have my utmost respect for your ingenuity, your passionate motivation to tackle these insane projects as well as the inspiration you provide for so many of us “strategic procrastinators”.

Thank you!

6 Likes

Did a quick search through my YouTube “watched” history. Looks like this was the first followed by Groundhog Day and the Circuit Bent Bible:

2 Likes