Doc Pops vlog puts out a challenge?

Okay so no a challenge exactly… but an idea.

Doc Pop wants to see a modular synth yoyo (around 0:50 into the video), he says with wires and stuff but my first thought was an LED yoyo and LDRs to make some kind of yoyo-vactrol. or possibly an oversized yoyo (4a) could fit a pcb/couple of knobs… i dunno just thought id throw it out there/here. =)

@d42kn355 could be up your alley.
@lookmumnocomputer any ideas?

3 Likes

I’ve been to docpoc’s magical workshop in SF… the man is prolific.

I’m imaging two 1/8 jacks in the center of the bearings, then CV data from internal accelerometers…

3 Likes

:slight_smile: He told me last night that he designed that shirt for me lol
I’ve been following Doc Pop for as long as I’ve been throwing hehe :slight_smile:
So cool to see him being talked about in here :smiley:

5 Likes

Make an oversized yo-yo with a thin patch cable as the string attached to a piezo on the disc. Plug it into a MikroKosmos and use it as cv.

1 Like

The wire wouldn’t be great as a string though as it would dampen the fall

Or maybe something like the game changer audio motor synth but with yo-yos on the motors.

1 Like

That’s a 22-minute video by somebody absolutely obsessed with yo yos. I managed about 30 seconds. Is there a timestamp for where he actually talks about this idea?

2 Likes

=] twentycharslimitsucks lol

2 Likes

No

2 Likes

This thread (and several past ones that planted the idea) made me go out and buy a yo-yo. I hope your all pleased with yourselves! As if I needed more distractions to keep me away from working :wink:

4 Likes

yoyo’s and synths do go well together! its surprising actually the cross over I never would have guessed!

I for one am pretty crap at yoyo but have been doing it for many years myself! not a patch on @d42kn355 mind!!!

4 Likes

You require one of these too then :slight_smile: I snatched one up right away lol - he said he designed it with me in mind :smiley:

2 Likes

I used to be ‘quite good’ on the playground back when I was in school during the yo-yo craze of the 90’s but that was a loooooong time ago. When the auto clutch mechanisms were all the rage. I think I am doing well just managing to throw straight and get this thing to come back to my hand reliably after a day of practice.

1 Like

Yes… Yes i am! haha =)

I hated those things, never enough spin time to learn decent tricks at the start.

A great yoyo to learn unresponsive yoyo is a YoYo Factory Protostar, very versatile and spins forever lol

@d42kn355 Ohh i like his electric yoyo design, i guess he drew that afterwards =P

1 Like

I remember having a yoyo like this as a kid.

I wonder if one can a similar means to send cv. I’m thinkin an accelerometer and wireless midi.

4 Likes

That was my first thought too. have a mix valued bunch of LDRs and mount them to a panel in a circle, spin the led glowy good thing and generate random lumen values like its the 90’s again.

As for what it all hooks up to behin the panel… no idea =D

this would be the weapon of choice for me…

3 Likes

haha I bought one!! alll good

2 Likes

I actually went with a YoYoFactory Replay Pro, since it was the cheapest unresponsive yoyo with decent reviews available locally.

If they are anything like the old light up ones I remember from my youth, and therefore light as a feather, surely adding too much in the way of a circuit is going to mess with the balance making them hard to throw? They might make a better one these days, or you might be able to mount an equal weight of componants on each side mind you.

Surely it would be easier to mount tiny neodynium magnets to the inside of the rim of a yoyo, then throw it at an amplified guitar pickup circuit. Then you would get something weird sounding as the magnets span past the pickup, although I am not sure how close you would have to get to the pickup itself. If you can get something more complex to balance right, maybe you could use a tiny wifi enabled microcontroller to transmit values based on your LDR output or some gyro sensors to a companion module that turns it into proper CV, thus eleminating the need for wires to come out of the yoyo itself. Or do both, having the yoyo’s spin produce a waveform via a magnetic pickup that is then shaped by the values transmitted wirelessly from the built in circuit? You might need a really big yoyo to fit all that in mind you.

1 Like

theres this one called the Luma-Yo - it was build with balance in mind lol - everything would need to be symmetrical or the throw will wobble.
This I know as I have prototyped and released my own throw in the past. lol :slight_smile:
http://www.highspeedyoyo.com/reviews/a-m/big-yoyo-string/big-yoyo-string-vitality-prototype

here is the Luma-Yo

I suppose something like an APC could be made inside of a throw since there are 2 knobs
Here is an example pic from google that could potentially work

The Output jack could be a thonkiconn and the power could also be a thonkiconn but with a label lol.
(i have used this before for weird circuits)

just brainstormin.

1 Like