Super Simple VCO: What's next

Hello again everyone,

Was finally able to get some time for myself this weekend since I have been on the front lines of this Covid stuff and tried to build my first super simple VCO (pictures below). The soldering part still needs some training but did I get it right?

And now I have an issue: I don’t know the best way to solder the cables. Do I have to cut the plastic around it and solder just the wires. If so what’s the best way to cut it?

Thank you, have a good day and stay safe!

3 Likes

You soldered to the wrong side of the veroboard. The components should be on the other side.
However if you just solder the current side the components are on then it should work fine.

5 Likes

Well shit. Thank you for the advice going to start all over again then. Any advice on the wires?

2 Likes

@Al4critous has a point-normally you would solder the components to a veroboard with them on the other side, but it’s easy to see why you would assume this was the right way to do it if you look at the original diagram:
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5912db7ee6f2e1435dbab4fd/1511528425181-EFOPD6BBMRB9GWT97WG0/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kJinZjb47qZJNFtiYlmvz-IUqsxRUqqbr1mOJYKfIPR7LoDQ9mXPOjoJoqy81S2I8N_N4V1vUb5AoIIIbLZhVYy7Mythp_T-mtop-vrsUOmeInPi9iDjx9w8K4ZfjXt2dmfNuKbS0bJYs3fZj8k0JI-op2L9oJDXlh5GBjOVEWf9MW9u6oXQZQicHHG1WEE6fg/SIMPLE+OSCILLATOR+AND+FILTER?format=750w
As far as the wires go, eventually you’ll want to get a pair of decent, dedicated thin-gauge wire strippers, but for now you can use a nail clipper, a sharp pair of scissors with a light touch, or even your teeth (don’t do that often though.)

4 Likes

I bought these recently, under five bucks and they work fine.

6 Likes

Easy mistake to make, especially given how the diagram looks. I just imagine the strips are there for reference, and build from the non strip side in the same way as i would if the strips were on top. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I definitely sound a caution on that. As a child I occasionally used to strip hookup wire on my top front teeth. This damaged the enamel and I had to replace them with crowns before I was thirty. Always take the time to find a suitable tool, never use your teeth, however tempting.

6 Likes

Yes the color makes it look like it. Going to redo it it because more mistakes are coming for sure!

I’m probably getting the wire stripper I might screw it up any other way.

2 Likes

Looks good thank you. I’m going to try and search for one here in Portugal because delivery times are huge right now.

1 Like

Yes will do! I’m sure I’m going to make a lot more mistakes ahah

5 Likes

While it’s thrilling when things i make work first time I’ve learned more from the vast number of mistakes I’ve made. Keep going!

7 Likes

aint that the truth.

5 Likes

I always have my normal wire strippers with me… as mentioned teeth are a good make do :slight_smile:

I spent Sunday swearing at a simple circuit to convert RS483 to TTL serial… with no success… Should be blooming simple and I have done it before…

2 Likes

if you can’t find strippers and don’t want to wreck your teeth , the cutters in your picture will work . it just takes a bit of practice and a lite touch . very lightly pinch the wire [plastic coating] and pull this will strip the plastic off. https://youtu.be/oVfA54MJUhw this is a short clip of how its done.

4 Likes

So this time I think I got it right. Still no way to try it since I have no way to power this up and all stores are closed.

2 Likes

9 volt battery maybe ? pull one out of the smoke detector , what could possibly go wrong .

4 Likes

Still have the cable problem and all stores are closed I maybe have to try and get the wire stripper online. And unfortunatelly no smoke detector. :grinning:

1 Like

I did the exact same thing building this :laughing:

1 Like

Hey there! I found another simple VCO using only opamps a transisotr and some passive componants! I don’t know if it sounds well so if someone could help me to figure out if it is a well oscilator I’d be thenkful ^^ (cuz yeah as3340 is kinda expensive haha)

Here’s the schem: (don’t care about C_IN and C_OUT)
firefox_LGBR96tcRr

1 Like

I do not know this osc, but the advantage of CEM3340 is the 1V / octave (for something more musical) unlike to this one

1 Like