Stepper motor music

Seen a trend of using stepper motors for making music. I feel the floppotron fad is making a comeback.

6 Likes

fantasticaly brilliant love this kudos thisi is so Sam LMNC museum ish work of wonderment .

1 Like

Excellent ! it’s remember me this with floppy disk

3 Likes

and with toaster :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Something I did aaaages ago - figured out how to record audio to a floppy disk through the digital write pin using a 555 timer. I nearly made a polyphonic synth out of it.

3 Likes

@lookmumnocomputer this is your next project… :grinning:

He did a couple Patreon videos about a year ago on such an idea. Don’t know if there were any public videos. Appears to be one of his unfinished projects.

1 Like

haha @Sonosus very nice!

I did similar about a year ago I started building a mellotron but it sort of pitter pattered out because I was trying to get past the tick on the output on every rotation did you manage to get past that??? there’s a vid on my patyrteon somewhere ill need to dig it out, would love to chat about your findings on it @256byteram !!!

I managed to get to the point the 555 was a carrier frequency for samples to record onto the floppy, I recorded gordon Ramsey saying f$^&k on a couple of floppies… but didnt get further haha, need to definitely pick it back up!!!

1 Like

just checked your channel and site cool projects!!!

3 Likes

Ah great! I’d love to see someone do something with it. I’m sure not going to :thinking: :laughing:

1 Like

I find the steppers to not have as girthy a sound as the floppies. Less metal shaking around maybe haha! The musical dot matrix printers are also quite fun. Quite a piercing sound tho. I did an experiment with one of those a few years ago but ended up overdriving the solenoids in the printhead and fried em! Live and learn :wink:

2 Likes

Way back in the early 1970s we had one of these at my high school

and I programmed it to play a simple rhythm on its built in printer. My first attempt at computer music.

2 Likes