Starting a little CMOS synth build

A lot of files cleanup today. I’ve started to document this stuff (mostly for myself and for practice) on a public Git repo.

Given that I’ve already reached the point that some questions about CMOS circuits I DuckDuckWent returned as results my very own posts, I’ve made sure to add ample disclaimers on every page I got no clue what’s up.

And I also went and learned how to make custom symbols and footprints in KiCad to clean up my protoboard. The project didn’t need a full overhaul, but I figured I might as well, to learn techniques in a known territory. I have yet to double check it and send it to fabricate… better sleep on this stuff first.

I figured that joined pads on the front would make it much more obvious what the board does, but keeping them separate on the back would make it easier to solder them.

1 Like

Recorded a proper demo of the system as it stands today!

The 40106 oscillator bank with separate potentiometers has been permanently retired from the system, too many flaws in that module. Eventually, many of those modules will be retired too, I’d love to turn the best circuits of the system into PCBs.

Speaking of PCBs, my revised protoboard has been sent to fabricate, and this time I managed to to notice only ONE mistake after the order was marked as accepted! (just an aesthetic issue, misaligned tracks that still connect the pads they’re supposed to).

6 Likes