Sound Systems! Speakers, Cabinets, and Amplifiers, Oh My!

yeah ,welded up the frame and strung it with non wound piano wire . it also has Rhodes piano pick ups and a diy preamp .

3 Likes

Oh, I thought it was an automated, self-propelled multishoot crossbow part of your antiburglary system…

3 Likes

Very sick! Chuffed to see someone else into sound systems here!

Always wanted to build my own system but life got in the way, and now I live in a flat where my neighbours complain if I play my bass on the quietest my 10W practice amp will go, so I’m not sure how a kW system would go down.

Missing going to nights with decent systems in this COVID world :cry:

4 Likes

Black Death hinted me to write about my concrete speakers in this thread and so I will do. But first some pics from the event last Saturday, when DIYers in W Sweden came together and to show what a year or two of CoVid had resulted in.
I must particulary point out the SALSA - the ribbonspeakers that are HOME MADE and sound extremely nice and natural. We could hardly see the bar high up in the sky.
The not so nice plywood boxes are “twin tqwt” and the driver is just 12", but the amount of air the speakers can handle PLUS the extreme low frequency response is absolutely mindblowing.

Here’s a link to the photos: HiFiForum.nu - Highfive's DIY&Vintage i Mölnlycke, mycket att se!

I can share some extra concrete pics, but 2/3 down is my presentation with the “tubic” concrete speakers (Dayton Audio PS95-8), backed up by a 10" Daytom Audio DC-250 in a 45 litre sealed box.
This was the first time I played all three speakers, as the 2.1-amp from China obviously was soldered using eco-friendly solder (=no solder at all :angry:). But still for a system this simple, I am happy.

5 Likes

I was in concrete collecting some large speakers last night ( A small [by our standars] Funktion One stack as it happens )…

Well it was “Club Concrete” till it closed a few years ago, we were doing a sound check for a new tenant yesterday.