Sound Systems! Speakers, Cabinets, and Amplifiers, Oh My!

This is a thread for soundsystem builders!

These are my “Hog Scoops”: hand made “folded horn” speakers, each with 18" drivers, driven by a 6000W iNuke amp.

If the picture doesn’t get the point across, these things are MASSIVE - two of them together barely fit in a van.

They are also LOUD. They’ll shake the foundations of any building they’re in, way louder than any of that Funktion One crap. :slight_smile:

Currently just using them for DJ stuff, but hoping to move to an all-modular setup as my Kosmo system evolves.

Anybody else here building cabs to go with their synth systems?

8 Likes

I take it the amp goes to 11.
Awesome and potentially deadly with a modular.
Great stuff.

5 Likes

6000W is quite a lot. Have you ever run into problems that the venue you are at can’t deliver that kinda power or can you split it up in some way (In a normal household the mains in my country would not be able to deliver that from one socket. It is often limited to 240 V * 16 A = 3890 W.)?

3 Likes

Eh, no problems, but it’s a Behringer product, so I think the 6000 on the tin probably isn’t what actually ends up being delivered (and it’s 2x3000, not 1x6000). I run the speakers in series, so I’ve never run into problems, but it’s possible you’d run into trouble running both the subs and tops off of the same amp. Some people have hacked the amp a little bit to add more powerful fans as it can become quite hot after a while.

2 Likes

like the design , what drivers / speakers are you using ?

2 Likes

I mean. If you can call this a cab…

4 Likes

Must have a small van :wink: I had a pair of twin 18 JBL’s in recently, although they were quite shallow and the Scoops I expect are quite deep.

The amp will maybee peak briefly at 6K ( although tests on tinterent say max 5K) the input is only 16A 240V so it could never sustain that output. With some Big CAPS in it could perhaps do it, bu they are not there, It’s all normal product bulshi…

Speakers are B&C which I got second hand. Huge magnets.

This is the design on the inside:

3 Likes

nice ,thanks for the info . those are big ass speakers , bet they are heavy to !

1 Like

I built a pair of portable Leslie speakers that were pulled from old home organs . a friend helped me make the solid state relays for speed control .

5 Likes

Oh my! Home made Leslie!!
Fantastic.
Im using this beast which might make it into the modular.

3 Likes

the guts weren’t exactly " home made " just the boxes and controls , I did put some new speakers in to .

2 Likes

So cool! It’s hard to capture the live sound of a real leslie compared to a simulated one through a static normal speaker.

Are those old Cerwin Vega horn tops it’s sitting on?

2 Likes

EV 's . this is one end of the " living room " LOL

3 Likes

Hi @devicex, do you fancy setting up an airBnB link so I can come play when all this covid is over?

2 Likes

hopefully some day , would love to come see you too . get some of me DNA from those parts of the world it would be fun to see were my ancestors are from . and make some noise for sure !

2 Likes

"Got any Scots in you? " was the start of a very poor chat up line I never used … honest!
Right that’s my post covid tour shaping up.

2 Likes

Welsh , Scottish , Irish in that order mostly .

2 Likes

Celtic! Or p-celtic if you’re an academic.
Just not English! (No offence to the Anglo types but… well … Scots is better!)

2 Likes

So what is this contraption in the center of the image. A string instrument of sorts?

4 Likes