Building an appropriate speaker amp

Or inappropriate - I’m flexible.

So I picked up this thing - more angles - at the university surplus shop for 5 bucks. In my haste to get crackin with making sounds I threw it into a very shoddily constructed “Speakerboxxx” and called it a day, then I realized it wasn’t super loud so I need to back up a step and figure out amplification.

I’m guessing I don’t really need that transformer or that rotary switch [which I thought was volume…] Would something like this do the trick?

That yellow cylinder and the green pill are resistor and caps right? Maybe I can repurpose those somehow - once I figure out the values?

Anything else to consider?

Thanks Kosmo-friends

4 Likes

The Cap/Resistor are the crossover filter… My filter building knowledge is none existant but judging by the size of the speaker I would say it’s a Mid. You can probably just junk them as I guess your not aiming for “Hi-Fi” and you would not have the matching Bass and Trebble anyway.

You can pick up a simple amp on ebay for £2

3 Likes

Excellent thanks for the info. I’ve got a couple LM386s that need a home so I’ll build something simple. I need the practice translating schematics to stripboard.

3 Likes