Slicer Pedal project => need help!

Hello everyone !
Since I have some free times this weeks, it’s time to finish a lot of ongoing project …

I need a kind of “slicer pedal” to get a very harsh tremolo effect on my guitar (like a square LFO driving the tremolo). But I really need it to be super sync with all my gears.

I already achieved it by building it with a DSP (an electro smith daisy). When it receives a MIDI signal with the note on 60, signal is open. When this note is off, signal is off. This is really simple.
But using a full DSP for this kind of FX sounds a bit too much for me. So I looked for a super simple VCA to drive with an arduino nano.

This is what I built today :

This is a bit dirty, but it works. When the arduino send 5V signal from its pin, signal is cut. I will just have to program to Nano and add the MIDI stuff to get it ready.

So my question is about this simple circuit with a transistor (BC547), and the RC filter (10k + 470nF) … What do you think? How could it be improved to sounds maybe better?

My electronic skills right now is just putting things together :slight_smile:

The RC Filter is here to get rid of “clicks” sounds when the state at the transistor base change!

Thank you for your help !
I will share the final schematic & code when everything will be ready.

Are you interested in an On/Off situation only? If so, using an analog switch IC will give you much better sound quality. If you use a CD4066, DG442 or similar and control that using PWM you can even make the analog switch attenuate the signal. I did an experiment a while ago which worked quite well using PWM. You can find is described and demo-ed here: PWM fader experiment

1 Like

Oh ! that’s really interesting !
I didn’t know about those chips !
Yes, what I need is a basic ON/OFF, so it might do the job.
I noticed there are some CD4066 on musikding.de ! I will order some and run the test.

Before you do, have a look at the DG442 and other DG configurations. They are more versatile because they allow negative input voltages (you can bias the CD4066 to accomplish the same) and a larger power range. But all depends on what you need and how muh you want to spend on them.

What i need is just to be on when received 5V and off the other way.
CD4066 seems really enough for what I need ! Thanks for your thoughts.

I have found that the negative part of a signal is distorted if the CD4066 has only a positive power supply. This is contrary to what I understand the datasheet suggests. In my designs therefore I used an opamp to bias the signal (lift it above GND level), send it through the CD4066 and then ‘unbias’ the signal again (lower it to be around GND level). I have loads of CD4066s, that’s why I used them, a DG442 would have made things more simple I believe.
Have a look here for my eurorack analog switch:

Let us know how you fare!

Oh okay I understand now …
Yes this could be an issue but I don’t want to sound it perfect cause everything goes in loads of FXs after that …
I might give a try with the CD4066

I rework a bit my schematic with the transistor and here is a new version who sounds less clicky

Just using my ears, not any electronic skills.
This is used in a MultiFX pedal send loop and it works as expected. Sounds not good with clean sound but I will always use it with distortion :smiley: