@SAM, Terminology Video Idea

Sam…

?Do you like green eggs and ham?

Aside from that, I am a more or less total newb at creating electronic music. TBH despite being fond of 80’s electronic music, up until recently I did not even appreciate there was a difference between how say A Moog Mini and a DX worked… Now it’s fairly darn obvious, even realizing the difference between a “Synth” (DX) and “Sampler” such as the Emulator should have been obvious but has only relay klicked in the last year or so…

Now I am finding that although I understand things such as the VCO, and indeed the purpose of VC. Some of the other terminology is still a little fuzy.

Your VIDS go a long way to introducing Modular to the masses and showing anyone can make a cool sound…

But how about a whirwind video of Terminology and what it means, how it’s used and the efect…

I have read lots of DRY and uninteresting websites and usualy switch of as the tone is sometimes condescending. As I say some of this I have worked out, perhaps though the ORDERING of modules is a mystery…

VCO
LFO
GATE ???
ASDR

I am sure there is more that could be covered in your no nonsens style…

Cheers

Rob

2 Likes

This isn’t what you asked Sam for (and honestly I think it would be great if he could make such an intro to the main terms). I have found this glossary useful for pinning down the precise meaning of some terms.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/resources/glossary.php

I’ve noticed that often the terms gate and trigger (described as synonyms in this glossary) are used in subtly different ways. Gate is used to describe a signal that is expected to remain on for the duration of the effect desired, whereas the term trigger is more often used in a context where only the transition from off to on is used.

1 Like

Check out Andrew Huang’s recent Video on Modular Synthesis. :smiley:

3 Likes

Cheers Both…

I have looked at the glossaries for a basic reference, but as thay say a picture paints a thousand words and a video ( Er I can’t remember the rest of the expanded quote…)

I think I have watched a couple of Andrews videos before ( one on building a Midi Controller I think )… So will have a watch of that.

Ta

Rob

2 Likes

Have you checked out sam’s easy peasy lemon squeezie vids?

What i think would be helpful is just start a thread and document the terms as you learn them. It could be used to ask question about terms as well. If not, you could always feel free to ask anyway wherever is relevant.

3 Likes