Organ surgery/part harvesting

So this has been keeping me busy while I wait to get components for my modular. I have spent hours a day digging into this old Kimball temptation organ over ~2 weeks, not to get much progress. There’s a bunch of great stuff in it, like a drum machine, the two keyboards, bunch of switches, spring reverb tank, two amps, 2x 12in speakers, even a leslie speaker. I am just not sure what to do now and how to use everything separate. Anyone ever do something similar, or could give advice what to do next?

7 Likes

pretty much were all my wire comes from harvesting old home organs people are getting rid of. I built plywood boxes for 2x12" speakers and sold them . key beds I have a pile of them for future projects made a couple self contained drum/rhythm boxes . the volume pedals I have been eyeing for some kind VC thing just above my skill level at the time .

6 Likes

How did you make the rhythm section by itself, separate from the organ?

1 Like

My weird brain read this as Organ harvesting, and I was quite concerned.

I have an old partially functioning organ that I’ve been thinking of scrapping as well, so I will keep a keen eye on this. Hope to hear more!

5 Likes

Thought you were talking about old age there for a second. Time to go bionic!

5 Likes

Haha I kinda thought I was being witty there with the name, with the project it’s rough but coming along. At the very least I got some nice speakers? What type of organ do you have?

1 Like

Like your thinking there…

I’m going to get some old military modules to harvest the wiring looms from maybe. That stuff has really good wire! Just got to choose a module with lots of plugs and interconnects.

3 Likes

If you are looking for something with crazy wiring look up the MFOS 16 step sequencer, it’s kinda a nightmare in that aspect. Super cool though, its on my build list

2 Likes

Yeh, take it apart, you know you want to! Loads of stuff in those old organs… I have a tendency to collect old things, they sit there for a long time. Then I get annoyed with them and rip them to bits.

3 Likes

I have one, just have the components on the pcb’s still getting up the nerve to do the wiring .

3 Likes

some of them [ rhythm and bass pedals ] are an added component to the organ [ all self contained ] so to was a matter of powering it and out put jacks . its been years so I forget what organ it was or were the thing is for that matter. wonder if I could find it that maybe fun to plug into the synth stuff.

4 Likes