My First JLCPCB Order!

Excited, and figured I would post about it.

I decided to look around for a couple ADSR’s, a couple VCA’s and a couple Power Options (for some future projects I have in mind - small Eurorack cases :slight_smile: )

Here is what I ended up ordering today!

MKS-006 : Exponential VCA
From NCS: “Exponential-response VCA built out of TO-92 discrete transistors (20 of them per channel!). The circuit is more or less that of an LM13700 operational transconductance amplifier chip, build out of single transistors for art’s sake. It’s not exactly hi-fi, but it imparts a warm and sweet crackling distortion that I rather like. It also provides a fair bit of output power and could be used for tasks like driving headphones or small speakers directly”

MFOS Dual Log/Lin VCA [PCB Design by Nickajeglin on github]
From Ray Wilson:

• Log and Linear Response to Control Voltage
  • DC Coupling Throughout
  • Excellent for Ring Modulation Effects
  • Power Supply Range +/-9V up to +/-15V

VCAs are essential to your synthesizer. They provide ring modulation effects, stereo panning, delayed vibrato, not to mention the normal envelope shaping of your sounds. This VCA works nicely with 10V PP (+/-5V) signal levels.

3 AI003 ADSR PCB PICTURE
AI003 ADSR by AI Synthesis [PCB Design by Nicholas Guest]
From AI Synthesis: " The Looping ADSR Envelope Generator is an ADSR Envelope Generator with the ability to also function as a variable wave LFO. This module can be used to feed control voltage to a filter or vca to modulate, for instance the volume of an sound source, or the cutoff of a filter."

Simple 555 ADSR (based on “The Fastest Envelope in the West”) [PCB Design by eViper1]
This is a pretty well known ADSR that has been around for quite some time.

MMI Modular USB Power Distribution Board [Open-Source - Based on Tom Whitwell’s “Stupid USB Power
This small Distribution board takes 5v USB Power and steps up to 12v +/- w/ 5v Rail @ 412mA 12v +/- and 5v dependent on USB Power.

Dintree D112 Eurorack Power Supply (Gerbers available on the site)
From Dintree: " The D112 Power Supply is a high quality Eurorack power supply designed for a single row of modules. It can supply 625mA at +12V and 625mA at -12V using a DC-DC dual-output module. Additionally it provides +5V at 500mA using a DC-DC converter on the +5V line as well. A single +12V supply powers the unit.

• +12V and -12V at 625mA each
  • +5V at 500mA
  • single +12V power input required (1-2A depending on load)
  • high-efficiency switching design
  • 12 power bus outputs
  • power bus indicator LEDs

:smiley:

Thanks @Caustic for the guide on your DIY Panel thread, it helped me order from JLCPCB :smiley:

5 Likes

Wow, that is a ton of good stuff!

2 Likes

Curious about the looping ADSR — that module is designed and sold by AI Synthesis. It’s pretty nice, I have one. Was this version done with their permission?

2 Likes

No clue - I found it on EASYEDA where a ton of people post projects.
The person who posted the project on easy eda was named GUESTN
and in the files it states Nicholas Guest.
When reading about it on AI’s site, they mention Nicholas being the designer of the circuit, so I am almost thinking that is who actually put it up on easy eda!

Everything I looked for yesterday was pretty much all open source to my knowledge!!
I am not at all one who likes to stir the pot haha.

Directly from AI’s site: " This Looping ADSR Envelope Generator DIY Kit circuit was derived (with permission) from the great and simple circuit (only 2 ICs!) from Nicolas on the Electromusic.com forums. With some help from the great Dave Brown, the circuit was updated to provide additional voltage protection, more uniform looping and gate behavior, more precise LED monitoring, and some nice user experience updates."

Even theirs is pulled from other peoples designs lol.

1 Like

You’re right, I’d overlooked that. And Nicolas on that forum says “I am totally happy for this design to be used in whatever way by anyone who is interested (acknowledgement is always nice of course)”. The AI version has some modifications not really covered by that, but it’s pretty much Nicolas’s design. So no worries!

3 Likes

My first significant attempt to design a PCB was an adaptation of Ray Wilson’s “oldie but goodie” state variable VCF, adding Eurorack power and putting panel hardware on board. I ordered that from JLCPCB, but soon after decided I didn’t like the ergonomics of it so went back to square one for a redesign. I ordered that from PCBWay. Then I worked up a PCB front panel and ordered that from JLCPCB. All of them have been completed and are on their slow way here!

2 Likes

Good list if pcbs. I might grab one o deese

2 Likes

Hi there! Did anyone have luck with these? I’m working on the Fastest Envelope in the West, currently troubleshooting it.

2 Likes

I never built it - lol - i actually have no idea where those boards went lmao.
I can’t even remember where I got the Gerbers.
Man… I’ve come a long way though since Feb. lol

2 Likes

hahaha well, it’s good to know you’ve come a long way since then. . . hopefully I’ll say the same thing nine months from now

4 Likes

That ADSR on top - the clone of the AI synth (nicholas guest) one does NOT work btw. lol

My guess is someone tried to clone that board and did a shit job. lol

Posting about that file in synth diy way back when actually got me bitched at because the owners of AI synth were like. uh… we never released our gerbers yada yada lol

3 Likes

so, an update

i can confirm the eviper pcb based on the ‘fastest envelope in the west’ does indeed work, though i don’t have the proper pots quite yet, so it’s not up to par quite yet

my issue turned out to be that the 3.5mm sockets needed grounding, so I rigged up a solution myself using leftover leads. don’t know if this is a noob error on my part - is it assumed that you’ll rig up ground for those yourself?

if i get a working prototype i’ll update the gerber file myself and post it!

thanks all

2 Likes

On a quick look there are several problems with that PCB. The panel jacks are not shown on the schematic and indeed have only the tips connected with the grounds floating. No, that’s not standard. Are they really using a barrel jack for (+5 V) power connection? It’s likewise not shown on the schematic. There are fat traces from there to one IC but the remaining power traces are thin. The connections for the unused op amp unit in U2 are left floating. The routing from R5 to R1 looks surprisingly convoluted though possibly it’d be hard to do better in the tight board width it’s been confined to. No ground plane, which might have helped with that. There are no bypass caps.

3 Likes

it’s always amazing to me to read what you guys see on such a quick look! i love it. i’m gonna have to put in some serious hours! i’ll check back in on this when i get the proper materials in and report what i discover

4 Likes

update: not working lol

I was only able to get 1m pots, so per the schmitzbitz site i changed out the caps and resistors. but not working particularly great yet

i’ve moved on to other things, but i want to come back to this later. thanks for all the input and see you on other parts of the forum :slight_smile:

3 Likes

update for those who are interested -

working on the yusynth adsr and just realized . . . i’m using an NE555 chip ! not a 7555

so, i will be ordering some

i’m not working off this adsr design anymore. trashing the pcb’s and i’m just going to design my own from the original schematics!

cheers!

3 Likes